Pattern approval is where an impartial body examines the design of an instrument prototype against our national or international standards. This determines the measurement accuracy of the instrument and whether the instrument retains this accuracy under a range of environmental and operating conditions.
If your instrument passes the pattern approval process, we issue a certificate of approval.
How to apply
- Read the Approval and Certification Procedures for Measuring Instruments Suitable for Use for Trade and any Other Legal Purpose [630KB PDF] [675KB DOC].
- Review the pattern approval requirements and the pattern approval guidelines and procedures relevant to your instrument.
- Collect all documents related to your instrument, including:
- details of the instrument
- model number
- operator manuals
- technical manuals
- circuit diagrams
- board layout diagrams
- parts lists and mechanical overview (exploded views)
- proposed sealing methods and nameplate layouts
- Complete and submit the Pattern approval application form.
- When we receive your application, we will confirm receipt and next steps.
Testing and assessment
After we receive your application, we either:
- test and assess your instrument pattern
- assess test results from other ISO 17025 accredited facilities with appropriate scope of accreditation
See Pattern approval instrument testing and assessment to find out more.
The fees for pattern approval depends on the type of measuring instrument you need approved.
Our Pattern approval fee guide spreadsheet [75KB XLS] provides the base rates for pattern approval.
- Use the Fee level selection tab to pick your level and class of instrument.
- Use the Fee estimate tab to see the tests performed and price for your level and class of instrument.
More complex instruments may take more time than the estimate in the guide.
If you have any questions about our fees, email email@example.com or phone 1300 686 664.
Measuring instruments used for trade
Measuring instruments used for trade in Australia must be pattern approved. We:
- evaluate measuring instruments to check they meet specific Australian requirements
- approve the pattern and issue a certificate of approval
Find out more about selling goods by weights and measures.
Pattern approved instruments
We issue certificates of approval for:
- length measuring instruments
- area measuring instruments
- spirit dispensers
- automatic tank level gauges
- alimentary product flowmeters (milk, beer)
- fuel dispensers for motor vehicles
- bulk liquid-measuring systems
- non-automatic weighing instruments
- automatic weighing instruments
- milk tanks
- vehicle tanks
- liquefied petroleum gas systems
- compressed natural gas systems
- multi-dimensional instruments
- multi-dimensional weighing instruments
- utility (gas, electricity and water) meters
- grain protein measuring instruments
- polarimetric saccharimeters
- evidential breath analysers
- digital indicators
- load cells
- fuel dispenser control systems
- fuel dispenser calculator/indicators
- point of sale (POS) systems
- After you apply, we perform a preliminary assessment
- If your instrument passes the pattern approval process, we issue a certificate of approval
- See all certificates of approval
- Read the pattern approval requirements for your instrument
- Read the pattern approval guidelines and procedures for your instrument
- Read about cost recovery for pattern approval
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 1300 686 664
- Write to us at Pattern Approval Section, National Measurement Institute, 36 Bradfield Road, West Lindfield, NSW 2070
Last updated: 12 November 2020
Content ID: 54013