The Critical Minerals Office is the Australian Government's central coordination point to:
- help grow Australia's critical minerals sector
- position Australia globally as a secure, reliable and ethical supplier of critical minerals.
We are the Australian Government's central coordination point to:
- grow Australia’s critical minerals sector
- position Australia as a secure, reliable and ethical supplier of critical minerals
- provide national policy and strategic advice on critical minerals
- connect Australian critical minerals projects to investors, regulators, government financing facilities and Australia's strategic partners.
Our key activities include:
- supporting research and development in partnership with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation and Geoscience Australia
- promoting investment and identifying opportunities in partnership with Austrade and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- ensuring Australia’s policy and regulatory settings support investment and unlock downstream opportunities
- improving access to information about regulatory approvals, funding and investment
- facilitating strategically important critical minerals projects
- partnering with other countries to build global supply chains.
Facilitating critical minerals research
We support research and development in partnership with:
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO)
- Geoscience Australia.
Partnering on global supply chains
We’re working across government and with international partners to help address supply chain risks, advance research and promote ethical, sustainable practice.
- bilateral agreements with the USA, UK, India, France, Germany, Republic of Korea, and Japan
- leading work to set technical standards and ensure good governance.
We also maintain an active presence in multilateral initiatives, including:
- Minerals Security Partnership
- IEA Critical Minerals Working Party
- Conference on Critical Material and Minerals
- Quadrilateral Security Dialogue
- Energy Resource Governance Initiative.