The Critical Minerals Office is the Australian Government's central coordination point to:
- help grow Australia's critical minerals sector
- position Australia globally as a secure, reliable and ethical supplier of critical minerals.
Our role and responsibilities
The office was established on 21 January 2020 to:
- provide national policy and strategic advice on critical minerals
- connect Australian critical minerals projects to investors, regulators, government financing facilities and Australia's strategic partners.
Key activities include:
- supporting research and development in partnership with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation and Geoscience Australia
- promoting investment and identifying opportunities in partnership with Austrade and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- ensuring Australia’s policy and regulatory settings support investment and unlock downstream opportunities
- improving access to information on regulatory approvals, funding and investment
- facilitating strategically important critical minerals projects
- partnering with other countries to build global supply chains.