We comply with the Commonwealth fraud control framework and supporting policies. We identify, assess and, where appropriate, investigate all allegations of fraud and corruption.
Types of fraud
Fraud committed by staff or contractors against our department is ‘internal fraud’. This includes misuse of:
- assets, equipment or facilities (including credit cards)
- information and communication technology (ICT) systems and information
- administrative processes
Fraud committed by an external party, such as a service provider or other member of the public, against the department or its programs is ‘external fraud’. This includes:
- customers deliberately claiming benefits they know they are not eligible to receive
- external service providers making claims for services not provided
- contractors overcharging for services
- theft of public resources, including money, information and property
- providing false or misleading information or documentation.
How to report fraud
If you suspect fraud, you can report by using our anonymous online fraud control portal.