AI presents opportunities to grow our economy, create jobs and improve our lives.
AI technologies are:
- helping small businesses better understand their customers
- transforming local manufacturing to be more competitive
- enabling us to manage our environment and resources more efficiently
- solving significant national challenges like bushfires and health.
Promoting and protecting AI technology
The Australian Government identified AI as a critical technology in the national interest.
The list includes:
- AI algorithms and hardware accelerators
- machine learning
- natural language processing.
Developing and adopting AI
We are supporting Australia to become a global leader in developing and adopting trusted, secure and responsible AI.
Progressing ethical AI
Australians need to be able to trust that AI systems are safe, secure and reliable for us to realise its benefits.
Australia’s AI ethics framework includes 8 principles that organisations can apply to:
- achieve better outcomes with AI
- reduce the risks of negative impacts
- practice the highest standards of ethical business and good governance.
We’re progressing the framework by:
- piloting the principles with Australian businesses
- working with agencies to encourage greater uptake and consistency with the principles.