Standards for critical technologies are voluntary specifications, procedures and guidelines.
Global technical standards:
- ensure that technology products, services and systems are safe, consistent, trusted and reliable
- make trade easier
- open up new markets for Australian products and services that meet these standards.
International technology standards are developed in forums like the:
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
Countries can adopt international standards or align their national ones.