The Business Registration Service (BRS) is a single place where Australian businesses can apply for key business and tax registrations. It reduces the time and complexity to register a new business, or apply for additional registrations.
The BRS connects with existing Australian Government registration services, making it a cost-effective solution for government agencies.
The BRS enables sole traders, companies, partnerships, trusts and superannuation funds to apply for:
- a business name and company name, including checking the availability of a proposed name as part of the Australian Securities and Investment Commission registration
- an Australian Business Number, and various tax registrations, as part of Australian Taxation Office registrations.
People wanting to register a business can use the help me decide tool to work out:
- the best business structure for their needs
- the relevant business and tax registrations to apply for including:
- Pay As You Go Withholding
- Goods and Services Tax
- Fringe Benefit Tax
- Luxury Car Tax
- Wine Equalisation Tax
- Fuel Tax Credits.
Benefits for business
BRS is a simpler, clearer and faster way to register a business.
It supports existing businesses and individuals seeking to establish a business to meet their obligations and avoid applying for registrations they don’t need.
BRS will save businesses time and money. Data can be re-used and there is no longer a need to move between different agency websites or complete multiple forms asking for similar information.
We are working with a number of government agencies to integrate with BRS and provide services for small business clients across tiers of government.
Our specialist customer support agents each have between 5 and 10 years' experience in small business operation. We train our agents to provide advice and support tailored to your customers' needs.
Existing businesses can use their can use their MyGovID to apply for new tax registrations.