Critical minerals are vital for clean energy and advanced technologies like smartphones, computers, solar panels, batteries and electric vehicles.
Australia supplies many countries with high quality, ethically sourced minerals using environmentally sustainable practices. We:
- have the world’s largest resources of rutile (titanium), zircon (zirconium) and tantalum
- rank in the top 5 globally for antimony, cobalt, lithium, manganese ore, niobium, tungsten and vanadium rank
- are the world’s top producer of lithium and rutile
- are the world’s second largest producer of zircon and rare earth elements.
Australia has potential for more undiscovered minerals. Well-established mining regions cover just 20% of Australia with the remaining 80% largely under-explored.
Secure critical minerals funding and finance
The Australian Government supports critical minerals projects that:
- support global clean energy supply chains and decarbonisation
- create high-paying jobs
- contribute to a strong future for our resources sector
- upgrade domestic processing and manufacturing capability.
From our department
Critical Minerals Development Program (CMDP)
The Critical Minerals Development Program will:
- help grow Australia’s Critical Minerals industry
- support Australia’s transition to net zero emissions
- support economic development and jobs in regional communities.
Businesses and state or territory governments can apply for a co-funded grant of up to $30 million.
Grants can be used for feasibility studies, engineering design work, and building pilot or demonstration facilities amongst other activities.
Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) Grants
We help you partner with the research sector to solve industry-identified problems.
The CRC Program supports the development of technologies, products and services that help reduce Australian industry problems. It aims to increase their:
Major Projects Facilitation Agency
Critical Minerals Office
Research and Development Tax Incentive
It is jointly administered by Industry Innovation and Science Australia (IISA) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
From other government agencies
Invest in Australia’s critical minerals
Major mining companies, junior explorers and financiers can benefit from Australia’s:
- mature mining industry and deep expertise in resource extraction and processing
- supportive governments, policies, incentives and programs for the resources sector
- pre-competitive geoscience information to identify areas of resource potential
- robust regulatory, construction, environmental and safety standards
- stable business location with close ties to the growing markets of Asia.