Promoting and protecting critical technologies
Our Critical Technologies Hub advises the government on critical technology opportunities, developments and risks.
Critical technologies are current and emerging technologies with the capacity to impact our national interest. This includes Australia’s:
- national security
- economic prosperity
- social cohesion.
The critical technology priority fields are:
- advanced manufacturing and materials technologies
- artificial intelligence (AI) technologies
- advanced information and communication technologies
- quantum technologies
- autonomous systems, robotics, positioning, timing and sensing
- clean energy generation and storage technologies.
Government actions to promote and protect critical technologies aim to:
- give Australians access to cost-effective, safe, secure and inclusive technologies
- promote Australia as a trusted partner for investment, research and innovation
- support regional resilience and competitive, trusted and diverse technology innovation
- enable Australian industries to thrive and maximise intellectual property (IP).