Promoting and protecting critical technologies
The Critical Technologies Hub advises the government on critical technology opportunities, developments and risks.
Critical technologies are current and emerging technologies with the capacity to impact our national interest. This includes Australia’s:
- national security
- economic prosperity
- social cohesion.
We recommend government actions to promote and protect critical technologies. We aim to:
- give Australians access to cost-effective, safe, secure and inclusive technologies
- promote Australia as a trusted partner for investment, research and innovation
- support regional resilience and competitive, trusted and diverse technology innovation
- enable Australian industries to thrive and maximise intellectual property (IP).
Supporting critical technology development and adoption
We are supporting Australia’s critical technology industries and capabilities. These technologies are providing new opportunities to create jobs, drive economic growth and boost competitiveness.
Growing the cyber security industry and workforce
We are growing Australia's cyber security industry and workforce to strengthen our digital economy.
Coordinating digital economy policy and regulations
The Digital Technology Taskforce coordinates whole-of-economy digital policy. This ensures we keep up to date on the changing digital landscape in our increasingly digital world.
The taskforce monitors developments in emerging technologies and the digital economy. This includes examining:
- changes in the digital technology landscape
- impact and uptake of high potential emerging technologies
- digital adoption by small and medium enterprises
- digital skills and inclusion
- the role and use of data in the digital economy
- international policy developments.
The taskforce helps inform the government’s digital economy policies and regulations.
Building digital capabilities
These tools can help your business innovate with digital technologies.