About Australia's resources sector
Our resources, mining, equipment, technology and services sectors are some of Australia’s strongest economic performers.
They generate more than half of Australia’s goods exports and provide significant opportunities including:
- economic wealth
- jobs and high wages
- Investment and tax revenues
- high-quality reserves of several mineral and energy commodities
- a skilled, experienced workforce
- innovative technologies
- best practice regulations and operations that bolster business and encourage investment.
Social, economic and technological transformation presents new challenges for the sector. Future success relies on working smarter, safer, cleaner and more efficiently than our competitors.
Supporting the resources sector
We develop policy, interventions and projects to:
- support sustainable development of the resources sector
- increase investment
- encourage innovative technologies.
Participating in forums
The government participates in a number of intergovernmental initiatives and forums to exchange information and expertise.
We regularly consult with Australia’s major trading partners, industry and stakeholders to help identify commercial opportunities for Australian businesses and encourage trade and investment.
We also have resources-focused counsellors in Tokyo, Beijing and New Delhi. These representatives help strengthen our trade and investment relationships in their respective countries.