The review looked at:
- the Safety Regulations
- Schedule 3 (Occupational Health and Safety) of the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (OPGGS) Act
- any other matters under the OPGGS Act necessary for a comprehensive review of the safety regime.
The review found that Australia’s offshore safety regime continues to be a leading practice regulatory framework. It identified areas to strengthen to improve offshore worker safety outcomes. The offshore oil and gas safety policy framework addresses these areas through policy amendments, including:
- improving engagement between industry and the regulator in designing offshore facilities
- strengthening the role of health and safety representatives
- recognising the importance of mental health
- increasing regulator oversight of diving operations
- strengthening compliance mechanisms
- streamlining administrative processes.
The policy framework supports the continuation of the current objectives-based regulatory regime.