Publication date: April 2021
Australia’s first STEM Influencer study surveyed almost 1500 parents about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The previous year’s Youth in STEM survey found that parents and teachers were the greatest influencer groups of young people’s education and career decisions. So the 2020-21 STEM Influencers survey explored parents’ perceptions and attitudes to STEM.
- awareness and understanding of STEM
- life skills associated with STEM education
- interest in STEM
- perceived importance of STEM for the economy and future employment
- expectations of children around STEM careers
- confidence in supporting children with STEM schoolwork
- frequency of conversations with children about STEM
- gendered differences in awareness and perceptions of STEM
- perceptions of school support.
YouthInsight carried out the survey for our department.
Download the report
Explore interactive data and insights
The interactive STEM Equity Monitor integrates select data from this research and will allow us to see changes and trends over time.