Offshore oil and gas safety review
We reviewed the occupational health and safety (OHS) regulatory regime for offshore oil and gas workers.
The review looked at:
- the Safety Regulations
- Schedule 3 (Occupational Health and Safety) of the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (OPGGS) Act
- any other matters under the OPGGS Act necessary for a comprehensive review of the safety regime.
The review found that Australia’s offshore safety regime continues to be a leading practice regulatory framework. It identified areas to strengthen to improve offshore worker safety outcomes. The offshore oil and gas safety policy framework addresses these areas through policy amendments, including:
- improving engagement between industry and the regulator in designing offshore facilities
- strengthening the role of health and safety representatives
- recognising the importance of mental health
- increasing regulator oversight of diving operations
- strengthening compliance mechanisms
- streamlining administrative processes.
The policy framework supports the continuation of the current objectives-based regulatory regime.
We developed the policy framework through extensive consultation with offshore oil and gas stakeholders.
- the offshore workforce
- the Australian Government
- state and territory governments.
We established a Safety Stakeholder Group (SSG) with representatives from each of these areas. We consulted the SSG throughout the review.
Draft policy framework
We published the draft policy framework on our Consultation Hub in late 2020. Responses from the public helped us revise and finalise the policy framework.
We developed the draft policy framework based on earlier stakeholder consultations:
- We invited the public to comment on a discussion paper detailing the offshore safety legislation in late 2019.
- We asked offshore oil and gas workers to complete a survey on the safety regime between November 2019 and January 2020.
Terms of reference
- Find out about the senate inquiry into the work health and safety of workers in the offshore petroleum industry.
- Read more about regulating offshore oil and gas in Australian waters.
- Read the Walker Review into the circumstances leading to the administration and liquidation of Northern Oil and Gas Australia (NOGA).
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: February 2021 [251KB PDF] [95KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: December 2020 [274KB PDF] [98KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: November 2019 in Melbourne [811KB PDF] [58KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: March 2019 in Perth [203KB PDF] [758KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: December 2018 in Melbourne [171 KB PDF] [75KB DOCX]
- Safety Stakeholder Group Meeting Notes: October 2018 in Perth [758 KB PDF] [77KB DOCX]