The Critical Minerals Strategy 2023–2030 sets out the government’s vision to grow Australia’s critical minerals sector.
Our critical minerals sector is well placed to seize the opportunities of the clean energy transition thanks to Australia’s:
- rich geological reserves
- expertise at extracting minerals
- track record as a reliable producer and exporter of energy and resources.
The Strategy was shaped by extensive public consultation to understand the barriers and opportunities facing the Australian industry and community.
Its objectives are to:
- create diverse, resilient and sustainable supply chains through strong and secure international partnerships
- build sovereign capability in critical minerals processing
- use our critical minerals to help Australia become a renewable energy superpower
- extract more value from our resources onshore, which creates jobs and economic opportunities, including for regional and First Nations communities.
Our focus areas
The Strategy sets out priorities across 6 focus areas. These outline how the government will seize our critical minerals opportunity by working with:
- the research and innovation sector
- states and territories
- international partners.
The way forward
Download a PDF copy of the report
This document was updated on 7 July 2023 to:
include a revised GDP output based on 2023 dollar figures in the ‘Opportunities for Australia’ section. The revised output is $139.7 billion (previously $133.5 billion)
clarify the funding available under the Critical Minerals International Partnerships program in the ‘Attracting investment and building international partnerships’ section.
This document was updated on 29 June 2023 to:
correct a typographical error regarding the reference period for the modelling referred to in the 'Opportunities for Australia' section, from 2023–2040 to 2022–2040.
clarify the location of the freehold Aboriginal land in the 'First Nations engagement and benefit sharing’ section
update a case study in the ‘Developing strategically important projects’ section
update some images and captions
improve formatting and design.