On this page
Environmental testing and analytical services
We provide a wide range of environmental testing services including:
- water resources
- site assessments and remediation
- waste treatment and management
- air emissions and pollution control
- mining resources monitoring
As Australia’s peak measurement body, the National Measurement Institute (NMI):
- offers a comprehensive range of professional, impartial and high quality measurement services, including specialised and crisis response testing
- is a trusted service provider to government, industry and academia, supporting major strategic programs and industry-led research
- partners with leading organisations locally and internationally
- delivers measurement that is meaningful, impactful and at the forefront of measurement science
We lead metrology in many important areas, from per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) to micro-plastics in water. We apply our range of specialist capabilities and novel technologies to our services. This includes ultra-trace environmental testing for dioxins and polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs).
Our certifications and accreditations
We have a strong commitment to quality. Our laboratories hold a range of certifications and accreditations including:
- National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accreditation for:
- ISO/IEC 17025: General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories
- AS/NZS ISO 9001: Quality management systems
- Therapeutic Goods Administration licence to manufacture therapeutic goods
Our core testing services
Learn more about our core testing services. We can test a wide range of matrices and analyse aqueous, solid, air and biota samples.
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your specific needs.
Our specialist testing services
Contact us to discuss how we can tailor our capabilities to meet your specific analysis requirements.
Dioxins, furans, PCBs and PBDEs
Read more about our analysis of POPs in a range of materials at ultra-trace levels.
Organotin in the marine environment
Read about our methods for detecting PFAS including; PFOS, PFOA, 6:2 fluorotelomer sulfonate (FTS), 8:2 FTS, and their related precursors in water, soil and biota.
Read about our method for the determining glyphosate, aminomethylphosphonic acid (AMPA) and glufosinate in water (drinking, recycled, ground and catchment), soil and foliage.
Trace metal testing in complex matrices
Total recoverable hydrocarbons reporting
We have developed sensitive and highly selective tests to determine a large range of environmentally important pesticides at trace and ultra-trace levels in water and soil.
High resolution measurement and environmental water contamination
We are one of the first laboratories in Australia to use ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry (UHPLC QTOF-MS) technology to screen targeted and non-targeted organic contaminants.
Clandestine drug laboratories
We analyse for methamphetamine, pseudoephedrine and methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) at the limits of reporting which are at, or below, the investigation levels in the Australian Government’s Clandestine Drug Laboratory Remediation Guidelines [4.9MB PDF].
Light hydrocarbons and permanent gases
We use an automated system to analyse light hydrocarbons (methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane and hexane) to the limits of reporting. These elements are connected to groundwater contamination from coal seam gas extraction.
We analyse 1,4-Dioxane which is a colourless flammable cyclic ether compound used as a laboratory solvent and in niche industrial applications. It has high mobility and moves rapidly from soil to groundwater.
Low level nutrient in marine and estuarine waters
We test for low level ammonia in fresh and seawaters. This includes ammonia testing for potable, surface, ground, saline, brackish and domestic waters as well as agricultural runoffs, rivers and seawaters.
Aldehydes and ketones in the environment
Aldehydes and ketones are volatile, toxic and hazardous with a high risk of air contamination. We use our methods to monitor workplace air, indoor air, exhaust air and emissions to the atmosphere.
Coal seam gas (CSG)
We offer fit-for-purpose measurement expertise and solutions for environmental impact assessments and regulatory compliance verification covering a full range of chemicals parameters applicable to CSG extraction. You can apply our laboratory-based water and chemical testing capabilities to baseline quality testing of:
- CSG-produced water
- processed water prior to its re-injection, re-use or release to the environment
Engineered nanoparticles—particularly in textiles, surface coatings and personal-care products—can enter the environment via domestic and industrial waste water streams. We can detect and characterise nanomaterials and work with you to develop methods to use in complex environmental matrices.
Find out more about our work on nanometrology.
We work with clients to provide solutions to problems in chemical analysis. Our work depends on our specialised metrology facilities that are unique in Australia.
We deliver training for:
- Analytical method validation
- Estimating measurement uncertainty for biologists
- Estimating measurement uncertainty for chemists
See training and assessment to find out more.
Our standard turnaround time is 5-30 days.
We also offer 1, 2 and 3 working day turnaround times where agreed.
Find out how to submit your environmental testing samples.
This includes advice on how to preserve samples, containers to use and holding times.
Request a quote or discuss your requirements
Contact us for a quote or to discuss how we can tailor our services to meet your analysis requirements.
- Email email@example.com
- Read our terms and conditions
- For general enquiries phone: 1300 722 845
Connect with us
- Join us on Facebook @NMIAustralia
- Follow us on Twitter @NMIAustralia
- National Measurement Institute of Australia on LinkedIn
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For general enquiries or updates on your work order phone: 1300 722 845
- Find out about the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
- National Measurement Institute
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 64602