The Beetaloo Strategic Basin Plan is the Australian Government’s strategy for unlocking the resource potential of the Beetaloo Sub-basin in the Northern Territory.
The Beetaloo Sub-basin has the potential to be a world-class gas province. Development of the Beetaloo will increase gas supply, create jobs and drive significant economic growth in the Northern Territory and Australia.
The gas produced from large-scale Beetaloo development could supply a variety of gas markets.
Unlocking the Beetaloo: The Beetaloo Strategic Basin Plan sets out how the government can accelerate exploration and development of the Beetaloo by:
- building a clear picture of the resource
- establishing efficient and effective regulation
- enabling infrastructure
- sharing regional benefits.
The government is committed to ensuring that Beetaloo development is safe and sustainable. This includes ensuring that development benefits local communities, Territorians, and the broader Australian population.
The Beetaloo Strategic Basin Plan is the first of 5 plans to be delivered under the Strategic Basin Plans Program announced in the 2020-21 Federal Budget.
Read the strategy
Read the references
- The Economic Impacts of a Potential Shale Gas Development in the Northern Territory, ACIL Allen Consulting
- Beetaloo Sub-basin gas development study, Deloitte
- The Minister delivered Unlocking the Beetaloo: The Beetaloo Strategic Basin Plan on 14 January 2021
- The Minister announced the Beetaloo Cooperative Drilling Program on 17 December 2020
- Beetaloo Basin announced as a key element of the Gas-fired Recovery agenda on 17 October 2020
- Strategic Basin Plans were announced in the 2020-2021 Federal Budget on 6 October 2020
- The Prime Minister announced the gas fired recovery plan on 15 September 2020
- Read more about the Strategic Basin Plans Program
- Read the National Resources Statement