The Beetaloo Sub-basin has the potential to rival the world’s biggest and best gas resources.
Developing the resource could create thousands of jobs and drive significant economic growth in the NT. It could:
- spur significant downstream manufacturing opportunities
- deliver cheaper and more reliable gas to households and industry
- provide an additional source of gas for Liquefied National Gas (LNG) export facilities
The opportunities of the Beetaloo also present serious challenges that could prevent us realising its full potential.
These challenges include:
- overcoming the Beetaloo’s vast and remote nature in order to better understand its resources
- developing supporting infrastructure from the ground up
- starting production by 2025 (or earlier) to meet the expected window of maximum gas demand and potential declines in production in southern states
- ensuring local communities and Traditional Owners can realise the benefits of development
The government has developed this plan to ensure we meet these challenges and make the most of the opportunities.