The Critical Minerals Strategy 2023–2030 is a framework to grow Australia’s critical minerals sector.
Our critical minerals sector is well placed to seize the opportunities of the clean energy transition thanks to Australia’s:
- rich geological reserves
- expertise at extracting minerals
- track record as a reliable producer and exporter of energy and resources.
The Strategy’s vision is that by 2030 Australia:
- has grown the geostrategic and economic benefits of its critical minerals sector
- is a globally significant producer of raw and processed critical minerals
- supports diverse, resilient and sustainable supply chains.
The Strategy was shaped by extensive public consultation to understand the barriers and opportunities facing the Australian industry and community.
Its objectives are to:
- create diverse, resilient and sustainable supply chains through strong and secure international partnerships
- build sovereign capability in critical minerals processing
- use our critical minerals to help become a renewable energy superpower
- extract more value onshore from our resources, creating jobs and economic opportunity, including for regional and First Nations communities.
The Strategy sets out priorities across 6 focus areas. These outline how the Government will seize our critical minerals opportunity by working with:
- the research and innovation sector
- states and territories
- international partners.