Acoustic and vibration measurement services
The National Measurement Institute's (NMI) acoustic, ultrasound and vibration measurement services are the most accurate in Australia. Our work defines the apex of traceability that directly links measurements made locally to the rest of the world. Our experts:
- calibrate reference-grade instruments, such as microphones and accelerometers
- perform precision measurements
- provide bespoke research and development services
- deliver formal and bespoke training services
- advise on measurement, calibration, and accreditation
Our services support Australian laboratories, universities, defence, government and industry. This includes NATA accredited laboratories, and those with commercial, ethical, reputational or legal requirements. Our measurement reports are crucial for clients who need results that can stand up to legal scrutiny.
Acoustic and vibration instrument calibrations
We specialise in calibrating reference-grade measuring instruments to the lowest measurement uncertainties possible in Australia. This includes instruments used as standards in laboratories across Australia and internationally, such as microphones, meters and monitors. NATA accredited laboratories use these standards to calibrate their clients’ instruments. Measurement results from instruments we calibrate are directly traceable to the primary standards we maintain.
Instruments we calibrate
We calibrate most high-end instruments that measure acoustics and vibrations. This includes instruments that measure ultrasound. The most common instruments we calibrate are:
- acoustic calibrators
- artificial mastoids
- blast and noise monitors
- electronic filters and conditioning amplifiers, with acoustic and vibration instruments
- environmental noise monitors
- geophones and velocity transducers
- portable calibration vibrators and exciters
- shock and impulse systems
- sound level meters and filters
- ultrasonic power meters and ultrasonic transducers
- vibration calibrators and calibration systems
- vibration meters and monitors
- custom-built instruments that measure acoustic, vibration or ultrasound sources
Typical turnaround times
- Booking to calibration (lead time): 2 to 4 weeks
- Common instrument calibrations: 2 to 5 days
- Uncommon, rare or unique instrument calibrations: 2 to 10 days
- Calibration report, after calibration: 1 to 2 weeks
We work with clients to meet their schedule wherever possible, including urgent needs.
Booking an instrument for calibration
- To book, complete the request a quote for calibration form
- Our calibration coordinator will get in touch to discuss needs and how we can best meet them
- We’ll prepare and present a formal quotation and schedule, and provide specific shipping instructions
- On accepting the quote, ship the instrument according to instructions
- Our experts will prepare the instrument then perform the calibration
- We’ll ship the instrument back
- If requested, we can send a calibration report
We can measure most acoustic, ultrasound and vibration instruments and calibrators. Clients can bring an instrument, product, sample or item to us, and we can use our state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment to measure its characteristics. If more convenient, we can conduct some measurements at our client’s sites or facilities.
High-risk experiments or testing
We achieve the most precise acoustic or vibration measurement, quickly and reliably.
This is especially critical for clients conducting a destructive test with only one opportunity for a precise measurement. It is also critical for clients running a test or experiment that is high-risk or expensive, i.e. incorrect measurements requiring a retest would have significant financial or time impacts on the client. Engaging us for a precision measurement helps reduce these risks.
Unique or challenging measurement situations
We have the expertise and facilities to develop novel calibration and measurement systems for almost any acoustic, ultrasound or vibration instrument. This includes microphones, meters and monitors that have never been measured before. Our standing as the peak body ensures any measurement reports we provide will be highly respected, trusted and universally accepted.
We regularly solve complex measurement problems and develop new measurement techniques to meet emerging industry and community needs.
Research and development services
Research underpins all our acoustic and vibration measurement work. This applies to our work as Australia’s measurement regulator, and as a service provider for industry, government and the community. We work with clients to collaboratively design and deliver acoustic or vibration research and development projects.
Our teams and facilities providing services for industry are the same that develop and maintain the primary standards in Australia. This includes multinational projects to improve the standards through the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM) and International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
Many of our clients prefer to work with us under a long-term, contractual arrangement. This means we can be their outsourced acoustic and vibration measurement team and laboratories. Our clients usually engage us for 12 months at a time. This enables us to build a stronger foundation of knowledge about each business or organisation, and the products, services and projects they deliver.
We design our services to suit each client’s needs. For a quotation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have a ready-made, highly trained workforce with access to the latest technology.
The advisory services we provide go beyond typical acoustic, ultrasound and vibration measurement advice. Our experts are themselves instrument designers, and have a wealth of science and engineering experience to share.
For example, we provide advice on:
- sensor types or transducer configuration
- analysis methods to consider using in developing a new product
- manufacturing processes that will ensure a product performs as expected
- measurement integrity and quality assurance
For more information, email email@example.com.
Training and assessment
As well as our established training courses for industry, we also offer bespoke training for our clients. Typically this is for clients who need staff skilled in a particular area of acoustic or vibration measurement, or with a particular style of instrument, so they can quickly and cost effectively adopt new capabilities. Our training can also assist those looking to apply for NATA accreditation, or increase their scope of accreditation.
This can involve training teams to:
- use precision instruments
- understand traceability and measurement uncertainty
- maintain a quality system
Our acoustic and vibration specialists can provide bespoke training on most precision measurement instruments. We can provide training even if the microphone, meter or monitor is custom made for one business or organisation. For bespoke training options, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indicative service costs
We provide premium acoustic, ultrasonic, and vibration calibration services. Our fees relate to the quality and quantity of work done on each instrument.
NATA accredited laboratories around Australia can deliver results directly traceable to the standards we maintain. These laboratories can provide a lower-level calibration service that may suit the needs of many clients, at more competitive rates.
We can customise calibration strategies to suit requirements and budgets. This includes quoting for batch calibrations. For a customised quote, email email@example.com.
Sectors and industries we support
While most of our clients are NATA accredited laboratories, we also support:
- measurement equipment suppliers, such as those who sell or service instruments
- medical sector clients, such as audiology and physiotherapy providers
- manufacturers, including those developing new products for sale or export
- mining and resources clients, including specialists involved in blast or environmental monitoring
- university researchers, including academics who work on ground-breaking studies
- defence industry, such as vibration testing, explosion monitoring and shock testing
- environmental noise experts, such as those who monitor roads, railways, and airports noise
- government bodies, including agencies involved in health, resources or the environment
- Read the terms and conditions for our calibration services
- Learn how Australia’s measurement system works
- For calibration enquiries, phone 02 8467 3836 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For all other enquiries, phone 1800 020 076 or email email@example.com
Connect with us
- Join us on Facebook @NMIAustralia
- Follow us on Twitter @NMIAustralia
- Follow the National Measurement Institute on LinkedIn
Last updated: 12 November 2020
Content ID: 52865