Our department collects personal information when providing analytical services testing through the National Measurement Institute (NMI).
We comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) outlined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). The Privacy Act regulates how entities may collect, use, disclose and store personal information including sensitive information.
Personal information is collected from the order forms. We collect:
- your name, business address, email address and telephone number
- the name, address and ABN of the company you work for.
Use of personal information
Personal information is collected so the NMI can contact you about your request for a quote, the receipt of samples, the issue of a Certificate and invoicing for the provision of analytical services testing.
Your personal information may also be used to:
- invite you to participate in stakeholder surveys
- consult with you on the type and range of services that NMI provides and the testing capabilities it maintains
- promote NMI training courses to you.
Disclosure of personal information
Your personal information will not be used or disclosed without your consent, except where authorised or required by law. Personal information may be disclosed to:
- staff and contractors in the department, including staff and contractors employed by NMI
- parties contracted to the department or NMI to undertake stakeholder surveys or consult on NMI’s service offering
- the Minister and Ministerial Office
- other Commonwealth Government entities.
This information is stored in NMI’s Laboratory Information Management System and the Department Finance System. Personal Information obtained will be stored and held in accordance with the Department’s obligations under the Archives Act 1983 (Cth) and the Privacy Act.