This page belongs to: National Measurement Institute
The National Measurement Institute offers the convenience of national coverage with facilities and partnerships across Australia.
Our world-class food measurement services and solutions:
- enhance Australian trade, quality and innovation
- empower sound food regulation
- enable greater consumer protection and awareness.
Request a quote or discuss your requirements
Submitting your samples
- Before submitting your sample please contact us first to discuss your requirements and receive a quote.
- Once you’ve received your formal quote, complete the sample submission form.
- Deliver your samples together with your completed form in business hours (delivery address located on the form).
Please note you must cover delivery costs and we don’t accept responsibility for a sample’s safety or integrity until it’s received.
As Australia’s peak measurement body, we:
- offer a comprehensive range of professional, impartial and high quality measurement services, including specialised and crisis response testing
- are a trusted service provider to government, industry and academia; supporting major strategic programs and industry-led research
- partner with leading organisations locally and internationally
- work with the Australian food sector on a range of metrology capabilities and services
- deliver measurement that is meaningful, impactful and at the forefront of measurement science.
Our certifications and accreditations
We have a strong commitment to quality. Our laboratories hold a range of certifications and accreditations including:
- National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) accreditation
- ISO/IEC 17025: General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories
- AS/NZS ISO 9001: Quality management systems.
Our key services
We lead metrology in many important areas, from food allergens to per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in food. We apply our range of specialist capabilities and novel technologies to areas such as food-borne pathogens and food provenance and authenticity.
We undertake contract method development to address measurement gaps, supporting Australian Industry.
Email us to discuss how we can tailor our capabilities to meet your specific analysis requirements.
Compliance support services
We provide analytical services to meet compliance obligations, like:
- Imported Food Inspection Scheme (IFIS)
- National residues survey (NRS)
- Australian milk residues analysis (AMRA) survey
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand.
We produce and certify reference materials of:
- pure organic substance certified materials, including:
- isotopically labelled internal standards
- matrix certified reference materials, including:
- trace elements
- nitrofuran marker residues
- folic acid
- biological reference material, including DNA standards for pathogens.
We are an International Depository Authority for receiving and storing deposits under the Budapest Treaty on the International Recognition of the Deposit of Microorganisms for the Purposes of Patent Procedure.
Food and agricultural safety and compliance
We analyse and provide services for:
- bio-toxins in seafood:
- histamine and other biogenic amines
- domoic acid (ASP)
- paralytic shellfish toxin (PST/PSP)
- diarrhetic shellfish poison (DSP)
- aflatoxins – B1, G1, B2, G2
- aflatoxin M1 in dairy
- organic contaminants:
- poly chlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- dioxins and ‘dioxin like’ (PCBs)
- poly aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) / perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
- volatile and semi-volatile organics (VOC and SVOC)
- dairy contaminants:
- quaternary ammonium compounds (QACs)
- dicyandiamide (DCD)
- melamine and cyanuric acid
- agricultural chemical residues:
- comprehensive screens for standard domestic and international market requirements
- compliance testing
- Food Standards Code compliance testing
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) product validation for specified commodities
- veterinary chemical residues:
- antibiotics residues
- fluoroquinolones, quinolones and malachite green
- non-antibiotic veterinary drugs
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatories
- metals and inorganic contaminants
- heavy metals, including inorganic As, Cd and Hg
- food standards code compliance testing
- microbiological services:
- standard plate count (SPC), E.coli, coliforms
- vibrio cholera
- coagulase positive staphylococci
- yeast and mould
- commercial sterility
- shelf life
- custodian of food microbiological organisms under the Budapest Treaty
- food borne virus testing:
- hepatitis A
- carbon monoxide in packaged fish and meat products.
Food allergen and intolerance proteins for labelling and compliance
- tree nut
We provide nutritional testing services for:
- compliance with nutrition panels for Australian and international market requirements
- food constituents:
- fat, protein, ash, moisture
- fatty acid profile
- amino acid profile
- sugars profile
- sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus
- cholesterol, phytosterols
- proximates including peroxide value, acidity, free fatty acids, total solids
- fat soluble vitamins and nutrients:
- retinol (vitamin A)
- carotenes (alpha and beta)
- ergocalciferol (vitamin D2)
- cholecalciferol (vitamin D3)
- tocopherols and tocotrienols (vitamin E)
- phylloquinone (vitamin K)
- B group vitamins and nutrients:
- thiamin (vitamin B1)
- riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- niacin (vitamin B3)
- pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5)
- vitamin B6
- vitamin B12
- folic acid
- vitamin C.
Food authenticity and provenance
We provide authenticity and provenance services for:
- New Zealand official Manuka honey chemical characterisation
- bioactivity magnesium oxide (MGO)
- hydroxyl methyl furfural (HMF)
- dihydroxy acetone (DHA)
- other quality parameters available upon request
- DNA based speciation:
- common species for cooked and processed meats
- rendered meals and pet foods
- ruminant DNA in stockfeed:
- bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)
- rendered meats and bone meal (MBM)
- product profiling and comparative analysis (instrumental):
- genetically modified commodities (GMO).
We have highly specialised and unique capability in nano scale metrology, focusing on particle characterisation.
We provide packaging services for:
- chemical migration on plastics including gravimetric, metals and organics
- shelf life impact studies
- bisphenol A
- inks and dyes
- mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons (MOSH) and mineral oil aromatic hydrocarbons (MOAH).
We can investigate and provide advice on:
- chemical taints
- foreign matter
- chemical and microbiological spoilage.