We’re the peak body for measurement, which means we work to ensure the accuracy and traceability of power system measurements made in Australia.
We develop, maintain and disseminate the physical national standards for high-voltage and high-current measurement. We disseminate the national standards by providing end-to-end high measurement services for industry clients.
Our client services are:
- calibrating and testing instruments and standards with the lowest uncertainties
- designing, manufacturing and supplying high voltage instruments and standards for other laboratories
- undertaking contract research and development including renewable energy projects
- consultancy and advice for solving challenging high voltage measurement issues
- training and assessment including bespoke training to use specialised high voltage equipment
We deliver most services at our high voltage laboratory in Sydney. We deliver some services at client’s sites around Australia through our mobile laboratory. We’re accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA).
Power system calibration and testing
We specialise in calibrating and testing high voltage and high current instruments and standards. This includes high voltage resistive dividers, compressed-gas capacitors, ferro-magnetic voltage transformers and high-voltage and high current sensors.
Most of our calibration clients are from the electricity supply industry, overseas metrology institutes and other laboratories in Australia. Many NATA-accredited laboratories use standards we calibrate and test to calibrate their clients’ instruments. Measurements and calibrations made with instruments we calibrate are directly traceable to the national primary standards we maintain.
Instruments we calibrate
We calibrate reference measurement systems, devices and instruments which are used for measuring DC, AC or impulse voltage. The most common instruments we calibrate are:
- high voltage capacitors (e.g. compressed-gas or paper-oil)
- voltage transformers
- current transformers
- capacitor voltage transformers
- dc and ac high voltage voltmeters
- dc and ac high voltage dividers
- impulse voltage measurement systems
- impulse voltage dividers
- impulse current measurement systems
- impulse current shunts
- impulse voltage and impulse current digitisers
- partial discharge calibrators
- electrical fast transient (burst) testers
- surge testers.
High voltage testing
We can perform a range of high voltage tests for electricity supply companies, high voltage equipment manufacturers and suppliers. We can test to client specifications and to relevant documentary standards from:
- Standards Australia
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
High voltage equipment we can test
- high voltage insulators
- high voltage switchgear (disconnectors and circuit breakers)
- high voltage transformers
- high voltage inductors
- high voltage rotating machine coils
- high voltage cables and cable accessories.
The types of high voltage tests we perform
- ac voltage withstand test (wet and dry) up to 600 kV
- lightning voltage impulse withstand tests (wet and dry) up to 2800 kV
- switching impulse voltage withstand tests (wet and dry) up to 1800 kV
- radio-influence voltage and visual corona tests up to 400 kV
- partial discharge tests up to 400 kV.
Power system calibration and testing services
Most of our calibration and testing services are NATA accredited. For more information, see our NATA Scope of Accreditation: NMI Power System Technology Project.
Power system calibration and testing costs
We provide premium calibration and testing services. Our fees relate to the quantity of work done on each instrument. We customise our calibration and testing services to suit requirements. This includes quoting for batch calibrations. For a customised quote email email@example.com.
Typical turnaround times
- booking to calibration (lead time): 2 to 4 weeks
- common instrument calibrations: 1 to 2 weeks
- uncommon, rare or unique instrument calibrations: 2 to 4 weeks
- calibration report, after calibration: 2 to 4 weeks.
We work with clients to meet their schedule wherever possible, including urgent needs.