This page belongs to: National Measurement Institute
As the peak body for measurement, we apply the national standards through our suite of client services.
This includes calibrations, measurements, contract research, consultancy and training.
Our services are for clients across Australia who need results with the lowest uncertainties possible. This includes laboratories accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA), and clients from universities, government and industry.
We deliver our client services in our NATA-accredited Lindfield facility. Our client services include:
- calibrating reference resistors, capacitors and inductors, and ratio transformers
- providing consultancy services, including precision measurement, research and development
- designing and delivering training in calibrations and impedance measurement.
Impedance standard calibration service
We calibrate impedance standards, with results traceable to the International System of Units (SI). NATA accredited laboratories use standards we calibrate, to calibrate their clients’ instruments. This means their client’s instruments deliver internationally traceable results. Our uncertainties also suit clients with vested legal or commercial interests in ensuring their measurements are as accurate as possible.
Impedance standards we calibrate
- precision reference resistors from 10 µΩ to 100 TΩ
- high-current resistors and current shunts at currents up to 2000 A
- precision reference capacitors from 1 pF to 1 µF
- self-inductors from 10 µH to 10 H
- inductive voltage dividers.
We can calibrate other impedance standards on request.
We calibrate resistors and shunts at dc with currents up to 2000 A. Our best measurement uncertainty for precision resistors is 0.13 µΩ/Ω. We calibrate capacitors at frequencies between 400 Hz and 5 kHz, achieving best measurement uncertainty of 0.08 µF/F at 1000 Hz or 1592 Hz. We measure voltage ratio with input voltages up to 1000 V, and at frequencies from 40 Hz to 10 kHz with uncertainties from as low as 1 nV/V.
For details of our accreditation, and more information about our calibration and testing capabilities, see our NATA scope of Accreditation: NMI Impedance Standards Project.
Bookings and turnaround times
We liaise with clients to meet their schedule requirements whenever possible. This includes urgent requirements. Our timeframes depend on the volume of work we have at the time, and the complexity of the measurements requested.
Many of our clients prefer to plan their calibration well in advance, according to their recalibration schedules. By advising us of future needs, we can try to batch similar calibration work from different clients. We pass on the efficiencies this affords us to our clients, as a reduced calibration fee.
Other NATA-accredited laboratories can provide traceable results with uncertainties that meet the needs of most clients, at more competitive rates.
We work with clients to understand their unique impedance measurement issues, or opportunities, and can provide:
- contract research and development for short-term or long-term projects
- advice on problems relating to impedance and resistance measurement
- advice on measurement equipment and techniques
- technical advice on instrument calibration or precision measurement issues
- advice for product development, measurement integrity and quality assurance.
Customised impedance measurement training
We can design and deliver bespoke training programs for clients. This is separate to our established training and assessment programs, which includes electrical measurement, calibrations and measurement uncertainty. Our bespoke programs can involve training individuals or teams to:
- use customised or purpose-built precision measurement instruments
- maintain a quality system
- understand traceability and measurement uncertainty.