Industry 4.0 technologies connect the physical world with the digital world. They can offset our traditional challenges such as high labour costs and distance to markets. Examples include:
- artificial intelligence (AI)
- cloud computing
Industry 4.0 Testlabs aim to improve the competitiveness of Australian manufacturing industries through adopting Industry 4.0 technologies and workforce transformation.
They were a strategic initiative of the Prime Minister’s Industry 4.0 Taskforce.
In this report
This report is a guide on Industry 4.0 Testlabs in Australia. It defines the principles of an Industry 4.0 Testlab, regardless of its manufacturing process, industry, application or products.
- the digital transformation that defines Industry 4.0
- Industry 4.0 Testlabs technology, standards and security
- testlab developments across Australia and use cases of Industry 4.0
- the role Testlabs will play in transforming Australian manufacturing
- practical advice on how workforce and digital transformation leads an organisation towards achieving an Industry 4.0 capability
Collaborating with Germany
This report evolved through information sharing and collaboration between Australia and Germany on Industry 4.0.
The Australia-Germany Advisory Group recommended government and industry in both countries collaborate on Industry 4.0 to develop global standards. The taskforce was established following the recommendation and later signed a cooperation agreement with Germany’s Plattform Industrie 4.0.