On this page
Helping industry and businesses harness technology
We are supporting businesses and industries to develop and adopt secure digital technologies for Australia’s future.
Digital technologies are becoming part of our everyday lives. These technologies are providing new opportunities to create jobs, drive economic growth and boost competiveness.
Delivering a modern digital economy
Our department is helping to deliver a modern, digital economy through Australia’s Digital Economy Strategy. This whole-of-government strategy envisions Australia as a leading digital economy and society by 2030.
We are supporting this vision in 3 areas:
- putting the foundations in place to grow the digital economy, including supporting cyber security
- building capabilities in emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, blockchain and quantum computing
- lifting the digital capabilities of small to medium business enterprises (SMEs) and supporting a dynamic and emerging tech sector
Building Australian technology capabilities
We are working to:
- create an environment where artificial intelligence helps the Australian economy thrive
- progress the signposts towards a blockchain-empowered future
- build small business digital capability
Advancing Australia’s future technologies
We released Australia’s Tech Future in 2018 to show how Australia can maximise the opportunities of technological change. This strategy set clear outcomes, identified opportunities and areas that need further focus, and outlined government actions.
Driving Industry 4.0 transformation
The fourth industrial revolution, Industry 4.0, is transforming how businesses operate by connecting the physical with the digital world. Artificial intelligence, advanced automation and robotics are examples of Industry 4.0 technologies.
We released an Industry 4.0 Testlabs in Australia report in 2017 to improve the competitiveness of Australian manufacturing industries through Industry 4.0 technologies. The Industry 4.0 Testlabs pilot program established testlabs at 6 Australian universities.
- Make it Happen: The Australian Government's Modern Manufacturing Strategy is helping to deliver a strong, modern and resilient economy by modernising manufacturing technologies and industries
- Industry-led Growth Centres are helping business sectors to innovate with Industry 4.0 integration across the manufacturing process
- The Skilling Australians Fund trains technicians to meet the needs of the future economy
- Australia’s Cyber Security Strategy 2020 is investing $1.67 billion over 10 years to create a more secure world for Australians and Australian businesses
- CSIRO’s Data61 Digital innovation: Australia's $315b opportunity and Digital Megatrends reports outline opportunities for Australia
Email digitaleconomy [at] industry.gov.au
Last updated: 25 May 2021
Content ID: 12496