On this page
Helping industry and businesses harness technology
We are supporting businesses and industries to develop and adopt secure digital technologies for Australia’s future.
Digital technologies are becoming part of our everyday lives. These technologies are providing new opportunities to create jobs, drive economic growth and boost competiveness.
Delivering a modern digital economy
Our department is helping to deliver a modern, digital economy through Australia’s Digital Economy Strategy. This whole-of-government strategy envisions Australia as a leading digital economy and society by 2030.
We are supporting this vision in 3 areas:
- putting the foundations in place to grow the digital economy, including supporting cyber security
- building capabilities in emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, blockchain and quantum computing
- lifting the digital capabilities of small to medium business enterprises (SMEs) and supporting a dynamic and emerging tech sector
Building Australian technology capabilities
We are working to:
- create an environment where artificial intelligence helps the Australian economy thrive
- progress the signposts towards a blockchain-empowered future
- build small business digital capability
Advancing Australia’s future technologies
We released Australia’s Tech Future in 2018 to show how Australia can maximise the opportunities of technological change. This strategy set clear outcomes, identified opportunities and areas that need further focus, and outlined government actions.
Driving Industry 4.0 transformation
The fourth industrial revolution, Industry 4.0, is transforming how businesses operate by connecting the physical with the digital world. Artificial intelligence, advanced automation and robotics are examples of Industry 4.0 technologies.
We released an Industry 4.0 Testlabs in Australia report in 2017 to improve the competitiveness of Australian manufacturing industries through Industry 4.0 technologies. The Industry 4.0 Testlabs pilot program established testlabs at 6 Australian universities.
Building small business digital capability
Digital technology can help businesses:
- deliver products and services faster
- respond to changing consumer demands
- welcome new customers locally and internationally who want to buy online
It also enables business continuity as an extra layer of security if external factors affect your small business
Digital advice services
Australian small business advisory services (ASBAS) digital solutions provides low cost, high-quality digital advice to help small businesses grow their capabilities. Read about ASBAS digital solutions on the business.gov.au website.
Digital champions project
Digitally engaged small businesses are more likely to increase their revenue and create new jobs. We administer the Small business digital champions project to support small businesses to operate in the digital economy. Learn more about the small businesses who received digital advice and funding to transform their business operations on the business.gov.au website.
We’re also funding 15 industry associations to deliver a trusted digital advisory service, providing free sector-specific digital advice to their small business members. In response to COVID-19, industry associations have expanded their service to provide general business advice to further assist impacted small businesses. Read about how industry associations are assisting small businesses on the business.gov.au website.
- Make it Happen: The Australian Government's Modern Manufacturing Strategy is helping to deliver a strong, modern and resilient economy by modernising manufacturing technologies and industries
- Industry-led Growth Centres are helping business sectors to innovate with Industry 4.0 integration across the manufacturing process
- The Skilling Australians Fund trains technicians to meet the needs of the future economy
- Australia’s Cyber Security Strategy 2020 is investing $1.67 billion over 10 years to create a more secure world for Australians and Australian businesses
- CSIRO’s Data61 Digital innovation: Australia's $315b opportunity and Digital Megatrends reports outline opportunities for Australia
Last updated: 27 July 2021
Content ID: 12496