Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances
Per- and poly- fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a group of chemicals that have been widely used in industry since the 1950s. PFAS include chemicals such as perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).
PFAS have been used in the manufacture of:
- non-stick cookware
- furniture and carpet stain protection applications
- food packaging
- industrial processes
- fire-fighting foam
Many PFAS can persist in humans, animals and the environment. Despite no consistent evidence that PFAS causes adverse human health effects, experts recommend only minimal exposure as a precaution. To help minimise this risk, we can routinely perform robust and high quality testing of common PFAS contaminants.
We meet QSM 5.2: Quality control requirements for PFAS analyses.
We base our method for PFAS testing on:
- USEPA 537 Determination of Selected Perfluorinated Alkyl Acids in Drinking Water by SPE and LC/MS/MS
- USEPA Draft Method 821-R-11-007 utilising solid phase extraction (for water) and LC-MSMS detection
This method is NATA accredited for biosolids, soil and water samples.
Why choose us
Our capabilities include:
- advanced liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) instrumentation for PFAS analysis and research
- NATA accreditation for testing common PFAS in soil and water matrices
- highly skilled and experienced staff
- rapid turnaround times
- ISO 17043 accreditation for an ongoing international proficiency testing program of PFAS in soil, water and biota
- regular participation in international proficiency testing to benchmark our analytical performance in testing at ultra-trace levels
- expertise and knowledge gained through collaborative research projects with prominent universities and other research institutes
PFAS can consist of linear and branched isomers. PFOS and PFHxS isomers using a traceable mixed linear/branched standard are report as totals. All other PFAS isomers are quantified using traceable linear standards and reported as totals.
Our testing services and limits of reporting
We can provide lower limits of reporting for water samples on request.
|Analyte Name||Abbreviation||Water (μg/L)||Soil(mg/kg)||Biota(mg/kg)||Biosolids(mg/kg)|
|Perfluorobutane sulfonic acid||PFBS||0.01||0.001||0.0005||0.005|
|Perfluorohexane sulfonic acid||PFHxS||0.01||0.001||0.0005||0.005|
|Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid||PFOS||0.02||0.002||0.0003||0.005|
|Perfluorodecane sulfonic acid||PFDS||0.01||0.001||-||0.005|
|6:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonic acid||6:2 FTS||0.01||0.001||0.0005||0.005|
|8:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonic acid||8:2 FTS||0.01||0.001||0.0005||0.005|
|Perfluoropentane sulfonic acid||PFPeS||0.01||0.001||-||0.005|
|Perfluoroheptane sulfonic acid||PFHpS||0.01||0.001||-||0.005|
|N-Methyl perfluorooctane sulfonamide||N-MeFOSA||0.02||0.002||-||0.005|
|N-Ethyl perfluorooctane sulfonamide||N-EtFOSA||0.02||0.002||-||0.005|
|N-Methyl perfluorooctane sulfonamidoacetic acid||N-MeFOSAA||0.01||0.002||-||0.005|
|N-Ethyl perfluorooctane sulfonamidoacetic acid||N-EtFOSAA||0.01||0.002||-||0.005|
|N-Methyl perfluorooctane sulfonamidoethanol||N-MeFOSE||0.05||0.005||-||0.01|
|N-Ethyl perfluorooctane sulfonamidoethanol||N-EtFOSE||0.05||0.005||-||0.01|
|# 4:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonic acid||4:2 FTS||0.01||0.001||-||0.005|
|# 10:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonic acid||10:2 FTS||0.01||0.002||-||0.01|
|# 8:2 polyfluoroalkyl phosphate diester||8:2 diPAP||0.02||0.002||-||0.01|
Our standard turnaround time is 5-30 days.
We also offer 1, 2 and 3 working day turnaround times where agreed.
Find out how to submit your environmental testing samples.
Request a quote or discuss your requirements
Contact us for a quote or to discuss how we can tailor our services to meet your analysis requirements.
- Email email@example.com
- Read our terms and conditions
- For general enquiries phone: +61 2 9449 0111
- See our full list of environmental testing and analysis services
- Australian Government PFAS website
Connect with us
- Join us on Facebook @NMIAustralia
- Follow us on Twitter @NMIAustralia
- National Measurement Institute of Australia on LinkedIn
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For general enquiries or updates on your work order phone: 1300 722 845
Last updated: 12 November 2020
Content ID: 64598