On this page
Supporting Australia’s resources sector
Our resources, mining, equipment, technology and services sectors are some of Australia’s strongest economic performers. They generate more than half of Australia’s goods exports and provide significant opportunities including:
- economic wealth
- jobs and high wages
- Investment and tax revenues
- high-quality reserves of several mineral and energy commodities
- a skilled, experienced workforce
- innovative technologies
- best practice regulations and operations that bolster business and encourage investment
Social, economic and technological transformation present new challenges for the sector. Future success relies on working smarter, safer, cleaner and more efficiently than our competitors.
National resources policy framework
The government’s vision is to have the world’s most advanced, innovative and successful resources sector. One that delivers sustained prosperity and social development for all Australians.
We’ve developed the National Resources Statement to support this vision. Our 5 key goals:
- deliver the most globally attractive and competitive investment destination for resources projects
- develop new resources, industries and markets
- invest in new technologies and approaches, especially to deliver better environmental outcomes
- create well-paid, secure jobs
- support communities to ensure they receive benefits from the development of Australian resources
This policy framework builds on the recommendations of the Resources 2030 Taskforce Report.
Australia’s Critical Minerals Strategy is a key part of this plan. It highlights the investment, innovation and infrastructure activities we are delivering to position Australia as a world leader in critical minerals.
Australia's National Hydrogen Strategy aims to build a clean, competitive and innovative hydrogen industry as a major global player by 2030.
Our role in supporting the resources sector
We develop policy, interventions and projects to:
- support sustainable development of the resources sector
- increase investment
- encourage innovative technologies
We promote the resources sector by:
- supporting the Mining Equipment, Technology and Services sector through Industry Growth Centres
- encouraging investment in offshore petroleum exploration and opening up new regions
- leading Australia’s efforts to grow the critical minerals sector
- representing and advocating for the resources sector in trade agreements
- providing open access to precompetitive geological and geophysical data and analysis from Geoscience Australia
- identifying and developing responses to issues affecting onshore resources
- progressing upstream oil and gas reform
See the full list of activities and strategies in our Corporate Plan under Resources.
Exchanging information and expertise
The government participates in a number of intergovernmental initiatives and forums to exchange information and expertise:
- Carbon Sequestration Leadership Forum
- COAG Energy Council
- Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
- Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute
- Kimberley Process
- International Energy Agency
- Mission Innovation
We regularly consult with Australia’s major trading partners, industry and stakeholders to help identify commercial opportunities for Australian businesses and encourage trade and investment.
We also have resources-focused counsellors in Tokyo, Beijing and New Delhi. These representatives help strengthen our trade and investment relationships in their respective countries.
Strategic basin plans
Strategic Basin Plans will accelerate exploration and development activities in key locations of strategic importance.
The plans will identify:
- what resource opportunities are present
- how we can accelerate, coordinate, and optimise development
- how this will benefit Australians, including jobs, trade and more affordable energy
Strategic Basin Plans are a key item of the government’s Gas-fired Recovery agenda.
They will help to increase gas and energy supply, increase exports and drive economic growth.
We are developing Strategic Basin Plans for 5 priority basins:
- Beetaloo Sub-basin, Northern Territory
- North Bowen and Galilee Basins, Queensland
The locations for the 3 remaining plans will be announced at a later date.
- Read more about opportunities in the resources sector
- Read the Resources and Energy Quarterly for forecasts on the value, volume and price of Australia’s major resources and commodity exports
- Find opportunities for international investors in the resources and energy sector on the Austrade website
- Read research on stakeholder engagement for mining projects
Connect with us
Follow us on Twitter @ResourcesGovAu
- Offshore oil and gas companies must meet a number of requirements before undertaking activities in Australian waters
- We regulate offshore greenhouse gas storage in Australian waters
- We regulate offshore mineral exploration and mining
- We administer export controls for rough diamonds, uranium and gas
- Australia is a supporting country to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Last updated: 14 January 2021
Content ID: 46973