Part 2 of the Disability Premises Standards review: have your say
Update: Due to strong interest from stakeholders, the department is extending consultations to run until 30 April 2021.
You are welcome to submit new or additional responses, even if you’ve already submitted input during the consultation period (which ran from 22 February to 16 April 2021).
The second stage of the Disability (Access to Premises – Building) Standards 2010 (Premises Standards) review has started.
The Premises Standards help people living with disability, their family, carers and friends have equal access to public buildings. They also make sure building certifiers, developers and managers fulfil their responsibilities to people with disability under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.
The discovery stage of this review focused on understanding people’s experiences of building access and the Premises Standards. It helped shape the review.
This second stage will identify opportunities for improvement.
Our consultation paper covers 6 main ideas:
- all the disability standards and other regulatory mechanisms work together and are consistent
- improving building access
- helping builders follow the rules
- helping people with disability move around within new buildings more easily
- more accessible toilets and change rooms
- effects on people’s health
Consultation is open until 16 April.
Anyone affected by the Premises Standards can participate. In particular we want to hear from:
- anyone living with disability, their family, carers and friends
- building developers, managers and certifiers who comply with the Standards and National Construction Code
There are many ways to share your views. These include survey, written submission, audio and video upload, email and phone.
We expect to present the final report to government in mid-2021.
- Read more about the Premises Standards review process
- We finished the discovery phase of our review in November 2020
- Email PremisesStandards@industry.gov.au
- Phone 02 6213 7674
- Write to us at Premises Standards Review Team, Industry Growth Division, Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources, GPO Box 2013, CANBERRA ACT 2601