This page belongs to: National Measurement Institute
We provide services to Australian laboratories, universities, government and industry.
We specialise in calibrating flowmeters, in particular hydrocarbon fuel meters for the fuel industry. We deliver our hydrocarbon liquid flow services at our Londonderry Flow Facility (LFF).
We can deliver some services on-site at our clients’ laboratories and facilities around Australia.
Our services include:
- high-precision bulk flowmeter calibrations
- gravimetric testing of driveway flowmeters
- instrument pattern approval testing
- facility hire with specialist support from our team
- consultancy services including precision measurement, testing and analysis
- certificates and reports for legal proceedings or compliance
- training courses in instrument calibrations and liquid flow measurement
- research, advice and support for product development and product safety.
We calibrate instruments that measure liquid flow from 5 per minute up to 4000 L/min and pressures up to 2000 kPa. Our uncertainty capability is as low as 0.04%. This means our calibrations are the most accurate in Australia. All our calibrations are traceable to the Australian standards for mass, density, temperature and pressure.
Our calibrations are for clients who need the highest accuracy possible. This includes other NATA accredited laboratories and flowmeter verification service agents. Most accredited laboratories and service agents provide results traceable to the standards we maintain. Clients involved in bulk fuel sales often use our services to maintain confidence with trading partners.
Instruments we calibrate
We calibrate most instruments that measure liquid flow. This includes rare and custom-built devices. We calibrate:
- volume provers
- piston provers
- petroleum meters (petrol and diesel)
- driveway flowmeters (petrol and diesel pumps)
- liquid petroleum gas (LPG) meters
- compressed natural gas (CNG) meters.
Our calibration capabilities
We deliver calibration results with the lowest uncertainty capabilities possible in Australia. Our equipment and facilities are the most innovative and advanced because we are responsible for maintaining the standards. We are one of a few facilities in the world capable of calibrating CNG with uncertainties under 0.1%.
Our calibration equipment (flowmeters), flow rate and uncertainty capabilities are:
- LPG flow meters from 5 L/min to 1700 L/min, with typical uncertainty 0.1%.
- Petrol and diesel meters from 5 L/min to 4000 L/min, with typical uncertainty 0.05%.
- driveway flowmeters: up to 80 L/min, with typical uncertainty 0.05%.
- CNG flowmeters: 1 kg/min to 100 kg/min, with typical uncertainty 0.1%.
NATA publish our laboratories flowrate capabilities as part of the accreditation process. For more information about our laboratory’s capabilities for each standard, see the NATA Scope of Accreditation: NMI Mass and Related Quantities Project.
We usually complete liquid flowmeter calibrations in 1 to 2 business days. Wait times from booking to calibration is usually under 2 weeks. We liaise with clients to meet their schedule requirements wherever possible. We can calibrate some instruments sooner if urgent.
Flowmeter calibration costs
We customise our service offering to suit each client’s needs. We work with clients to understand their liquid flow measurement issues or opportunities and provide:
- precision measurement services
- technical advice on liquid flow metering issues
- training in pressure measurement and calibration procedures
- facility and operator hire for testing, research and benchmark studies
- contract research and development for short-term or long-term projects
- advice for product development, measurement integrity and quality assurance.