This page belongs to: National Measurement Institute
A healthy environment is vital for all of us. At the National Measurement Institute we work with industry, government and academia—in Australia and around the world—to help protect our environment now, and into the future.
We apply our specialist measurement expertise to:
- ensure the quality of environmental data such as water quality and flow measurements
- contribute to strong science-based evidence to inform environmental management and policy development
- help Australia meet its international environmental treaty obligations
- address emerging and priority environmental challenges on a national and global scale.
Our high-quality testing and analysis and calibration services support:
- regulatory compliance
- environmental management
- crisis response across all levels of government.
We develop reference standards and other measurement quality tools to help ensure measurements are reliable and comparable.
Our research helps address priority and emerging environmental issues.
We're a trusted and respected source of independent measurement advice for government, industry, research and the community.
Our environmental sector services
We offer industry quality testing services and research consultancies enhanced with personalised advice.
We work with industry leaders to develop solutions to solve issues of common interest.
We collaborate with government, academia and industry to develop and disseminate solutions to emerging measurement needs.
Improved measurement to help environmental managers
- We collaborated with environment industry leaders to improve the measurement reliability of PFAS (per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances) contamination assessment.
- We developed Australia’s first PFAS proficiency testing scheme in partnership with CRC CARE and EPA Victoria.
- We developed commercial nucleic acid reference materials for Diagnostic Technology ‘s novel test kit for toxic blue-green algae.