On this page
Premises Standards and reviews
The Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) Standards 2010 (Premises Standards) is legislation under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. They came into effect on 1 May 2011.
The purpose of the Disability Standards for Access to Premises is to make sure:
- people with disability and their family members, carers and friends, have equal access to public buildings
- building certifiers, developers and managers fulfil their responsibilities to people with disability under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992
The National Construction Code contains these requirements. It explains how buildings must be constructed. States and territories adopt the NCC and enforce it.
Premises Standards and the NCC also reference Australian Standards. You can access Australian Standards for non-commercial use through public libraries and certain university libraries. Contact us at PremisesStandards [at] industry.gov.au if you have any issues.
2020 Premises standards review
The Minister for Industry, Science and Technology in consultation with the Attorney-General is required to review the Premises Standards every 5 years.
We’ve started the second review of the Premises Standards.
The review aims to:
- check if the Premises Standards are achieving their objectives
- identify changes to improve them
We expect to complete the review in mid-2021 with improvements to the Premises Standards.
Our review included:
- a discovery process to help shape the review and Terms of Reference in 2020 on our Consultation hub.
- asking for feedback on a consultation paper.
Feedback methods included:
- an online survey
- written, video or audio submissions
- talks to our team on the phone
- emails or mail
- accessing the Terms of Reference, consultation paper and an Easy Read guide
Read more about building and construction standards
- Email PremisesStandards [at] industry.gov.au
- Phone 02 6213 7674
- Write to us at Premises Standards Review Team, Industry Growth Division, Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources, GPO Box 2013, CANBERRA ACT 2601
Last updated: 18 June 2021
Content ID: 67756