The rules ensure that new buildings, or new work on old buildings, provide the right levels of access for people with disability. The standards came into effect on 1 May 2011.
- was undertaken in consultation with the Attorney-General’s Department
- found that the Premises Standards have made some improvements
See our discussion papers and submissions on our Consultation Hub
The government response agreed to:
- implement 21 technical amendments
- increase awareness of educational and training materials
- establish a data framework
- put in place a cohesive structure for progressing future reforms
After this review, we implemented key recommendations.
- technical amendments to align the Premises Standards with the National Construction Code
- providing for adult accessible change facilities
- establishing an expert advisory group to guide and assist with later reviews