The Premises Standards help ensure people with disability have equal access to public buildings.
We review the Premises Standards every 5 years to:
- check they are achieving their objectives
- identify ways to improve them.
As part of the 2021 review, we consulted over 500 people, including:
- people with disability
- other stakeholders in the disability sector
- building professionals
- people in all levels of government.
The review identified 4 actions the Australian Government can take to ensure the Premises Standards keep meeting their objectives. These actions will:
- improve regulations for accessible carparks, automatic doors and the dimensions of openings
- help people understand their rights and responsibilities under the standards
- improve the data available for future reviews
- increase consistency between the Premises Standards and other disability standards.
Explore the digital publication
Read the digital version of the Premises Standards Review.