On this page
Business Registration Service
The Business Registration Service (BRS) connects with existing Australian Government business registration services to provide a streamlined and improved user experience. It reduces the time and complexity to register a new business, or apply for additional registrations, by providing a single registration service through business.gov.au.
The BRS is part of the Government’s $5.5 billion Growing Jobs and Small Business package to help small businesses invest more, grow and employ more Australians.
The BRS enables sole traders, companies, partnerships, trusts and superannuation funds to apply for:
- a business name and company name, including checking the availability of a proposed name as part of the Australian Securities and Investment Commission registration
- Australian Business Number, various tax registrations and AUSkey, as part of Australian Taxation Office registrations
People wanting to register a business can use the Help me decide tool to work out:
- the best business structure for their needs
- the relevant business and tax registrations to apply for including:
- Pay As You Go Withholding
- Goods and Services Tax
- Fringe Benefit Tax
- Luxury Car Tax
- Wine Equalisation Tax
- Fuel Tax Credits
Benefits for government
- BRS is a cost-effective service that provides a joined up service for multiple Commonwealth and State government agencies.
- It is a whole-of-government platform that will improve the quality of how business can interact with government now and into the future.
Benefits for business
- BRS is a simpler, clearer and faster way to register a business.
- It supports existing businesses and individuals seeking to establish a business to meet their obligations and avoid applying for registrations they don’t need.
- BRS will save businesses time and money. Data can be re-used and there is no longer a need to move between different agency websites or complete multiple forms asking for similar information.
- We are working with a number of government agencies to integrate with BRS and provide services for small business clients across tiers of government.
- Our specialist customer support agents each have between 5 and 10 years experience in small business operation. We train our agents to provide advice and support tailored to your customers' needs.
- When using BRS, our returning users and existing businesses can use their digital credentials (AUSkey, Manage ABN Connections/MyGov linked to ABN) to log-in and check the progress of an application or to apply for new tax registrations.
Get in touch with us through our contact centre.
Last updated: 8 December 2020
Content ID: 44996