The Australian Government has committed to decommission the Northern Endeavour FPSO facility and will also remediate the associated oil fields.
The project will be undertaken in 3 distinct phases:
- Phase 1: decommissioning and disconnection of the facility from the subsea equipment
- Phase 2: permanent plugging and abandonment of wells
- Phase 3: removal of subsea infrastructure and remediation.
Our department is inviting Expressions of Interest (EOIs) to complete Phase 1.
Work in Phase 1 is expected to include:
- removal of the facility from the field in accordance with good industry practice
- installation of temporary barriers between the reservoir and the environment
- subsea and topside flushing, cleaning and demucking
- sea fastening for tow
- disconnection of risers
- disconnection of moorings
- ocean tow to a designated location.
Information for Phase 2 and Phase 3 contracts will be announced at a later date.
Register your interest
We are now seeking responses from parties that have:
- the required expertise and other resources, including personnel, subcontractors, and access to vessels of the right size, type and quantity, to carry out Phase 1 of the project safely
- the capability and capacity to quickly mobilise these resources and undertake the work
- a proven track record and experience in disconnecting and decommissioning FPSOs and subsea assets
- the capability to execute the work in accordance with, or ahead of, the Commonwealth’s schedule
- the capability to execute the work in accordance with good industry practice and all applicable laws, regulations and standards
- health, safety, environmental, and quality assurance systems to support delivery of the services
- a track record of pursuing and developing growth opportunities, particularly with Australian industry.
Submissions close at 2PM AEST, 29 July 2021.
The department will shortlist interest for a more detailed proposal later in the year.
An Industry Briefing will also be provided to parties. The briefing will be available shortly after the 7 July 2021. Parties will be notified when this becomes available.
Ask your questions
Interested parties can submit questions and requests for clarification to NEProcurement@industry.gov.au.
Questions and request for clarifications must be submitted by 5PM AEST, 21 July 2021.
- The Minister announced the call for EOI for Phase 1 of decommissioning the Northern Endeavour on 1 July 2020
- The Minister announced the decision to decommission the Northern Endeavour on 14 December 2020
- Read about our Offshore oil and gas decommissioning framework review
- Read about our Offshore oil and gas safety review
- Read about the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority
- Read about how we regulate offshore oil and gas in Australian Commonwealth Waters