New online tool makes hiring process simpler for small business
Despite a challenging 12 months for small business, recent ABS data shows almost 1 in 5 small businesses expect to hire new staff in coming months.
Hiring for the first time can be time consuming and confusing. This is especially true without human resources support or specialised legal advice. Employers want to do the right thing but often don’t know where to start.
The Australian Government has launched the Employment Contract Tool. The tool is freely available for businesses.
Employers can use the tool to build a tailored employment contract for a new staff member which aligns with Australia’s Fair Work system.
The Employment Contract Tool:
- steps employers through a series of simple questions
- recommends clauses that cover employee pay and conditions
- includes options for added protections for the business, such as intellectual property or conflict of interest clauses
- generates a downloadable letter of offer and employment contract for the new employee.
The Employment Contract Tool is available on business.gov.au.
The tool complements the Hiring employees checklist available on business.gov.au.
The Employment Contract Tool is currently not suitable for all employment circumstances. New investment recently announced by the government will see the development of new features. This will keep it in step with business needs and the Fair Work Act benefitting even more small businesses.
Supporting businesses to employ new staff in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic is a priority for the government’s deregulation agenda.
- The Minister announced the Employment Contract Tool on 14 June 2021
- Read more about the Employing Your First Person Taskforce
- Email DECT@industry.gov.au