Japan spotlights Australian innovation and technology
The Australian Government is supporting homegrown startups at Asia’s largest open innovation event – Japan’s Innovation Leaders Summit (ILS) 2022.
The annual ILS event matches innovative startups from around the world with major Japanese corporations and venture capital firms. It fosters industry-research collaboration and showcases advances in technology and innovation that have the potential to change the way we live and do business.
ILS event program
The ILS event is happening in Tokyo from 1–15 February. The program includes in-person and online sessions.
During the first week (1–6 February), a cohort of 24 Australian startups will pitch their technological solutions and ideas directly to Japanese businesses and investors. ‘Team Australia’ represents a range of industries, including healthcare, cybersecurity and robotics.
Our startups will:
- connect one-on-one with companies via pre-matched business meetings
- network with industry groups in Japan.
Possible outcomes from these facilitated activities include:
- business collaborations
- funding opportunities
- ongoing international networks and relationships for Australian and Japanese businesses and people.
The second week (7–15 February) will see the ILS host large-scale pitches and presentations by startups and corporations. These are open to the public to join digitally.
See the program and register your interest in viewing a pitch or presentation on the ILS website.
Supporting Australian Innovation initiative
Startups participate in the ILS through the Supporting Australian Innovation initiative. This initiative aims to create pathways for the Australian startup and technology sector to access partnerships and venture capital in Japan.
Our department is leading the initiative, in partnership with participating State and Territory agencies, the Australian Embassy Tokyo and Austrade.
State and territory partners for ILS 2022 include:
- Trade and Investment Queensland
- Invest and Trade Western Australia
- Investment NSW
- Department of Trade and Investment (SA).
State agencies nominated their respective startups to be part of the Team Australia cohort. Over the last 4 months, our department has been working with states, Austrade and the Australian Embassy in Tokyo to facilitate Team Australia’s participation.
- Read how we are supporting international collaboration through funding and grants
- Read our Partnering with Australia on innovation, science and research booklet for more opportunities
- See a video showcasing the successes of Australian and Japanese collaboration and potential avenues for cooperation in the future