Cost recovery levy for Laminaria and Corallina oilfields and associated infrastructure
A temporary levy on offshore petroleum production will recover the costs of the Australian Government decommissioning and remediating the Laminaria and Corallina oilfields and associated infrastructure. The measure was announced as part of the government’s 2021-22 Budget.
The levy ensures that taxpayers are not left to pay for the decommissioning and remediation of production facilities and associated infrastructure in the oilfields.
Further information on the levy and consultation with industry will be announced in coming weeks.
The government remains committed to keeping the Laminaria and Corallina oilfields and associated infrastructure, and the surrounding marine environment, safe and secure.
The government announced it would decommission the Northern Endeavour in December 2020 , and to remediate the associated Laminaria-Corallina oil fields to remove potential risks to the environment.
- The Minister announced the temporary levy on offshore petroleum production on 11 May 2021
- The Minister announced the decision to decommission the Northern Endeavour on 14 December 2020
- Read more about decommissioning the Northern Endeavour
- Email NETaskforce@industry.gov.au
- Write to us at: Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources; Northern Endeavour Taskforce, GPO Box 2013, Canberra ACT 2601