Consultative Committee update – June 2019
National Radioactive Waste Management Facility (NRWMF) committees met in late March 2019.
Taskforce representatives provided updates on the project and covered topics including:
- the renewal of committee tenures and the Regional Consultative Committee
- Community Benefit Programme
- socio-economic research by the University of Queensland
- members’ questions
The Committee and Working Group members have been re-appointed until 31 December 2019. This will ensure the productive work of the committees can continue despite the delay imposed by court proceedings. The department thanks all members of committees and working groups for their efforts to date.
Professor Peta Ashworth presented findings on the UQ socio-economic baseline report work on the townships of Hawker and Quorn.
The purpose of the research was to:
- provide social and economic information about the town to identify current trends
- identify existing local community strengths and values and how these can be protected or enhanced
- identify preferred and socially acceptable strategies to harness expected opportunities or avoid and mitigate negative impacts
- establish a social and economic monitoring framework to enable the tracking of changes over time
Representatives informed the committee of a tender process to undertake a peer review of the facility design work. This will cover conceptual development and detailed design of the NRWMF.
At the time of publishing, there are no scheduled committee meetings. We will advise committee members when the next dates have been confirmed.
- Notes from previous meetings are available on our Consultative Committee page
- If you would like a copy of presentations given to the committees please contact us.
Connect with us
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 13 28 46