Offshore Petroleum Incident Coordination Framework
This framework provides overarching guidance on the Australian Government’s role and responsibilities in the rare event of an offshore petroleum (oil or gas) incident in Australian Commonwealth waters.
The oil and gas company undertaking the activity is responsible for responding to an oil spill. The framework operates alongside their response, and describes:
- interdepartmental coordination through the Offshore Petroleum Incident Coordination Committee (OPICC)
- Australian Government arrangements for addressing crises arising from offshore petroleum incidents
- The 2019 framework updates reflect learnings from Exercise Ningaloo Challenge
- Watch a video about oil spill modelling on the NOPSEMA website
- Find out more about how the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority regulates oil pollution risk management on NOPSEMA's website