The Measurement Law Review is identifying aspects of Australia’s measurement framework that can be modernised, streamlined or simplified.
The review will develop reform options for the consideration of the Australian Government in 2020.
In considering Australia’s measurement framework, the review has 4 objectives:
- Developing and advancing measurement activities that support Australia and its economy.
- Strengthening strategic measurement capabilities.
- Supporting confidence in measurement—domestically and internationally.
- Promoting innovation through a modern approach to measurement infrastructure.
Terms of reference
Read the Measurement Law Review terms of reference [162KB PDF] [70KB DOCX]
The review is gathering input and insights from stakeholders about Australia’s measurement legislation.
Six discussion papers will be released for input through our Consultation Hub. Each examine a specific aspect of Australia’s measurement framework.
If you wish to be kept updated about the progress of the review and release of discussion papers, please email email@example.com and we will add your details to our mailing list.
If you missed the opportunity to provide input, you can send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Scope of Australia’s Measurement Laws [3.2MB PDF] [7.9MB DOCX]
What should Australia’s measurement laws cover in a modern economy?
2. Traceable Measurement [3.8MB PDF] [1.11MB DOCX]
What are the legally acceptable ways of ascertaining if a measurement is consistent with a unit of measurement allowed for legal use in Australia?
3. Measuring Instruments [3.7MB PDF] [1.26 DOCX]
What is the best way to ensure measuring instruments are suitably accurate and appropriate for use in both trade and non-trade contexts?
4. Measurement-based Transactions [3.7MB PDF] [1.08MB DOCX]
How can measurement laws ensure a level playing field for trade and ensure consumer confidence in a modern economy?
5. Third-party Arrangements [2.2MB PDF] [2.4MB DOCX]
What arrangements for third parties would best support Australia’s measurement framework and technical measurement infrastructure?
6. Compliance Arrangements [2.2MB PDF] [2.4MB DOCX]
What mechanisms can be used to effectively encourage compliant behaviour?