Independent audit of NOPSEMA’s consideration of exploration in the Great Australian Bight
Australia’s Chief Scientist, Dr Alan Finkel AO, conducted an independent audit of the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority’s (NOPSEMA) consideration of exploration in the Great Australian Bight.
The audit found NOPSEMA:
- to be a highly skilled, professional and competent regulator
- has appropriate processes, procedures and guidance material in place to meet its regulatory requirements
- has appropriate processes and practices to ensure environment plans are assessed against relevant and complete scientific and technical information
The audit outlines opportunities for industry, the regulator and governments to provide further assurance. This includes greater transparency about NOPSEMA’s assessment process and oil and gas activities in general.
- Ministers announced the final report on 20 September 2019
- Ministers announced the terms of reference on 28 June 2019
- Ministers issued a joint media release announcing the independent audit on 16 May 2019
- Read operational reviews of NOPSEMA
- Read more about NOPSEMA regulation and activities