2019 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release
There are 64 release areas for offshore oil and gas exploration.
View 2019 acreage release areas on the National Offshore Petroleum Information Management System (NOPIMS) interactive map.
Geoscience Australia partnered with us to provide geological information to support this release.
Maps and field outlines are provided from GPinfo, a Petrosys Pty Ltd product.
Acreage release areas
- Bonaparte Basin
- Browse Basin
- Northern Carnarvon Basin
- Otway Basin
- Gippsland Basin
- How to bid on these areas
About the release
The release areas offer the petroleum industry a variety of investment opportunities.
Industry nominated the release areas. Then we consulted with the public, governments and stakeholders to determine the final release.
Bidding in this release closed on 5 March 2020.
Read more about the annual acreage release process.
View feedback from stakeholders provided during public consultation.
- The Minister announced the 2019 acreage release on 31 July 2019
- The Minister launched the 2019 acreage release by video at the APPEA Connect event in Perth
- Oil and gas companies must meet a number of requirements before commencing offshore oil and gas activities
- Read more about investing in offshore petroleum exploration
- See taxation and royalties on mineral and petroleum projects