Get to know Innovation and Science Australia’s (ISA) Board. Our members and special advisor are high-profile entrepreneurs, investors, researchers and educators with extensive local and global experience.
Mr Andrew Stevens
State: New South Wales
- Experienced Non-executive Director.
- Extensive background as an international leader in technology and professional services.
- Expertise in change management, business and ICT program design, risk evaluation, governance and delivery, business transformation, regional and global expansion.
- Formerly the Managing Director of IBM Australia and New Zealand, Chief Operating Officer at Price Waterhouse and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Currently director or member of a number of boards including: MYOB Group Ltd, Stockland Group Ltd, Thorn Group Australia Ltd, Chief of the Australian Defence Force’s Gender Equality Advisory Board, Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA), Advisory Executive of the UNSW School of Business.
- Chair of the Data Standards Body for Consumer Data Right implementation in Australia.
- Member of the Male Champions of Change.
- Read Mr Andrew Steven’s full biography on LinkedIn.
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales.
- Master of Commerce, Marketing, University of New South Wales.
- Fellow Chartered Accountant.
Dr Alan Finkel AO
Title: Deputy Chair
Current position: Australia’s Chief Scientist
- Extensive science background as an entrepreneur, engineer, neuroscientist and educator.
- Former Chancellor of Monash University and President of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE).
- Current directorships: Chair of the Prime Minister's Prizes Selection Committee.
- Former directorships: Chair of the Australian Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics (CAASTRO), Director of the ASX-listed diagnostics company Cogstate Limited, Executive Chair of the educational software company Stile Education, Chair of Manhattan Investment Group.
- Founded Axon Instruments, a California-based ASX-listed company that made precision scientific instruments used in the discovery of new medicines.
- Established the Australian course in Advanced Neuroscience to train early career neuroscientists.
- Co-founded Cosmos Magazine, which operates as a magazine, and a secondary school’s science education program.
- Read Dr Alan Finkel’s full biography on Australia’s Chief Scientist website.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Monash University.
- Worked as a postdoctoral research fellow in neuroscience at the Australian National University (ANU).
Dr Bronte Adams AM
Current position: Managing Director, Dandolo Partners International
- Previously led the Victorian Government’s technology arm, reforming government through the use of technology, managing major procurements, attracting foreign investment and stimulating the uptake of technology across commercial, public and community sectors.
- Current and former directorships: Rhodes Trust, Australia, Victorian Education Research Network, UNESCO Australian National Commission, VicStart Technology Commercialisation, Victorian Science Technology Innovation Infrastructure Grants Program.
- Made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2016, for significant service to the community through executive roles in business, publishing, health and industry innovation, and cultural organisations.
- Read Dr Bronte Adam’s full biography on the Dandolo Partners website.
- DPhil from Oxford University, where she attended as a Rhodes Scholar.
- Undergraduate honours degree, University of Western Australia (UWA).
Mr Paul Bassat
Current position: Co-founder of Square Peg Capital
- Co-founder of SEEK.com. In 14 years went from a startup to one of Australia's top 100 companies and the world's largest online employment business.
- Current directorships: Wesfarmers Ltd, Commissioner of the Australian Football League (AFL), Director of AFL Sportsready Pty Ltd, The Prince's Charities Australia Trust, the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation, the Mount Scopus College Foundation, the P&S Bassat Foundation.
- Read Mr Paul Bassat’s full biography on the Square Peg Capital website.
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of Melbourne.
- Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Melbourne.
Ms Maile Carnegie
State: New South Wales
Current position: ANZ Group Executive, Digital and Australia Transformation
- Extensive career leading business innovation programs in large corporations, with particular expertise in how large mature organisations stay competitive in the face of digital disruption, and applying a fresh approach to complex problem solving.
- Formerly the Managing Director of Google Australia/New Zealand.
- Current directorships: Chair of the University of Technology (Sydney) Vice Chancellor advisory board, member of the Federal Treasurer’s FinTech advisory board.
- Former directorships: Vice-Chair ASIC advisory board, Director B20, Director Australia Food and Grocery council, Director NSW Treasurer advisory board.
- Read Ms Maile Carnegie’s full biography on the Chief Executive Women’s website.
Degree in Business Administration in Finance, Economics and Marketing, UTS.
Professor Bronwyn Harch
Current position: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Queensland (UQ)
- An applied statistician and research leader with two decades of experience working across the agriculture, environment, health, manufacturing and energy sectors.
- Led the Institute for Future Environments (IFE)—a transdisciplinary research institute—at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
- Worked at CSIRO for 18 years as a researcher and research strategist, was the Chief of CSIRO’s Division of Computational Informatics, and previously the Deputy Director of CSIRO’s Sustainable Agriculture Flagship.
- Read Professor Bronwyn Harch’s full biography on the UQ website.
- Holds a joint Science Degree (Honours) in Environmental Science and Secondary Teaching (Mathematics and Science), Griffith University/QUT.
- PhD (funded by the Grains Research and Development Corporation), The University of Queensland (UQ).
Prof Elanor Huntington
State: Australian Capital Territory
Current position: Dean of Engineering and Computer Science, Australian National University
- Extensive career leading academic engineering and computing organisations in Australia, with deep sector experience in defence, security and government.
- Engineer and researcher interested in the control of quantum systems.
- Program manager in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology.
- Current Directorships and council memberships include: Advisory Council for Questacon, Significant Capital Ventures, National Security College
- Read Prof Elanor Huntington’s full biography on the Australian National University website.
- PhD (ANU)
- Masters in IT (ANU)
- Grad Cert (Flinders)
- BSc(Hons1) (ANU).
Prof Raoul Mortley AO
- Principal, Raoul Mortley Consulting
- Chairman, Spee3D
- Formerly Vice-Chancellor at Bond University and Newcastle University.
- Extensive experience consulting in higher education and business.
- Worked for the Australian Government and the World Bank/IFC.
- Previous academic positions: Visiting International Professor in the Collège de France, Visiting Professor in the Sorbonne, Researcher and Director of Research in the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique in Paris, and nine Australian universities.
- Current directorships: Chair of Effusiontech Pty Ltd, a start-up company in 3D printing of metals.
- Former directorships: Chair of the NSW Vice-Chancellor's Committee, Chair of the Australian Education office in Washington, Chair of the AV-CC Intellectual Property and Copyright Committee, Chair of the Professional Standards Board for Trade Marks and Patent Attorneys, Chair of IMT Motors, a start-up company in electrical engineering.
- Read Prof Raoul Mortley’s full biography on the Bond University website.
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Classics and Philosophy, The University of Sydney.
- Master of Arts, Monash University.
- Research Doctorate and Doctorate of Letters, University of Strasbourg.
- Honorary Doctorate of the University, The University of Newcastle.
Dr Christopher Roberts AO
State: New South Wales
Current position: Chair, OncoSil Medical Limited
- Over 40 years of experience in international medical device businesses.
- Former Chief Executive Officer/President of Cochlear Limited.
- Served as ResMed's Executive Vice-President.
- Current directorships: OncoSil Medical Limited (Chair), Clarity Pharmaceuticals Limited, O’Connell St Associates Pty Ltd, Cochlear Foundation, Jobs for NSW Board, Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology Board of Governors, Monash University Industry Council of Advisers.
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Chemical Engineering, UNSW.
- Master Business Administration, Macquarie University.
- PhD, UNSW.
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Science degrees from both Macquarie University and UNSW.
- Plus Alliance Professor, across three universities: UNSW, King's College London and Arizona State University.
Dr Heather Smith PSM
Title: Ex-officio member
State: Australian Capital Territory
- Previously Secretary, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Held the position of Secretary of the Department of Communications and the Arts.
- Held the position of Deputy Secretary in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Held the position of Deputy Director-General, Office of National Assessments.
- Worked at the Reserve Bank of Australia, the ANU and the Australian Treasury.
- Bachelor of Economics (First Class Honours), UQ.
- Masters and PhD in Economics, ANU.
Innovation and Science Australia board member terms of appointment [387KB PDF] [75KB DOCX]
See ISA's sub-committees
Links to third party websites do not reflect the views of, or constitute endorsement by the department.