Get to know Innovation and Science Australia’s (ISA) Board. Our members and special advisor are high-profile entrepreneurs, investors, researchers and educators with extensive local and global experience.
Dr Alan Finkel AO
Title: Interim Chair
Current position: Australia’s Chief Scientist
- Extensive science background as an entrepreneur, engineer, neuroscientist and educator.
- Former Chancellor of Monash University and President of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE).
- Current directorships: Chair of the Prime Minister's Prizes Selection Committee.
- Former directorships: Chair of the Australian Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics (CAASTRO), Director of the ASX-listed diagnostics company Cogstate Limited, Executive Chair of the educational software company Stile Education, Chair of Manhattan Investment Group.
- Founded Axon Instruments, a California-based ASX-listed company that made precision scientific instruments used in the discovery of new medicines.
- Established the Australian course in Advanced Neuroscience to train early career neuroscientists.
- Co-founded Cosmos Magazine, which operates as a magazine, and a secondary school’s science education program.
- Read Dr Alan Finkel’s full biography on Australia’s Chief Scientist website.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Monash University.
- Worked as a postdoctoral research fellow in neuroscience at the Australian National University (ANU).
Dr Bronte Adams AM
Current position: Managing Director, Dandolo Partners International
- Previously led the Victorian Government’s technology arm, reforming government through the use of technology, managing major procurements, attracting foreign investment and stimulating the uptake of technology across commercial, public and community sectors.
- Current and former directorships: Rhodes Trust, Australia, Victorian Education Research Network, UNESCO Australian National Commission, VicStart Technology Commercialisation, Victorian Science Technology Innovation Infrastructure Grants Program.
- Made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2016, for significant service to the community through executive roles in business, publishing, health and industry innovation, and cultural organisations.
- Read Dr Bronte Adam’s full biography on the Dandolo Partners website.
- DPhil from Oxford University, where she attended as a Rhodes Scholar.
- Undergraduate honours degree, University of Western Australia (UWA).
Mr Paul Bassat
Current position: Co-founder of Square Peg Capital
- Co-founder of SEEK.com. In 14 years went from a startup to one of Australia's top 100 companies and the world's largest online employment business.
- Current directorships: Wesfarmers Ltd, Commissioner of the Australian Football League (AFL), Director of AFL Sportsready Pty Ltd, The Prince's Charities Australia Trust, the Peter MacCallum Cancer Foundation, the Mount Scopus College Foundation, the P&S Bassat Foundation.
- Read Mr Paul Bassat’s full biography on the Square Peg Capital website.
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of Melbourne.
- Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Melbourne.
Ms Maile Carnegie
State: New South Wales
Current position: Group Executive Digital Banking, ANZ
- Extensive career leading business innovation programs in large corporations, with particular expertise in how large mature organisations stay competitive in the face of digital disruption, and applying a fresh approach to complex problem solving.
- Formerly the Managing Director of Google Australia/New Zealand.
- Current directorships: Chair of the University of Technology (Sydney) Vice Chancellor advisory board, member of the Federal Treasurer’s FinTech advisory board.
- Former directorships: Vice-Chair ASIC advisory board, Director B20, Director Australia Food and Grocery council, Director NSW Treasurer advisory board.
- Read Ms Maile Carnegie’s full biography on the Chief Executive Women’s website.
Degree in Business Administration in Finance, Economics and Marketing, UTS.
Professor Bronwyn Harch
Current position: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Queensland (UQ)
- An applied statistician and research leader with two decades of experience working across the agriculture, environment, health, manufacturing and energy sectors.
- Led the Institute for Future Environments (IFE)—a transdisciplinary research institute—at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
- Worked at CSIRO for 18 years as a researcher and research strategist, was the Chief of CSIRO’s Division of Computational Informatics, and previously the Deputy Director of CSIRO’s Sustainable Agriculture Flagship.
- Read Professor Bronwyn Harch’s full biography on the UQ website.
- Holds a joint Science Degree (Honours) in Environmental Science and Secondary Teaching (Mathematics and Science), Griffith University/QUT.
- PhD (funded by the Grains Research and Development Corporation), The University of Queensland (UQ).
Dr Christopher Roberts AO
State: New South Wales
- Over 40 years of experience in international medical device businesses.
- Former Chief Executive Officer/President of Cochlear Limited.
- Served as ResMed's Executive Vice-President.
- Current directorships: OncoSil Medical Limited (Chair), Clarity Pharmaceuticals Limited, O’Connell St Associates Pty Ltd, Cochlear Foundation, Jobs for NSW Board, Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology Board of Governors, Monash University Industry Council of Advisers.
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Chemical Engineering, UNSW.
- Master Business Administration, Macquarie University.
- PhD, UNSW.
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Science degrees from both Macquarie University and UNSW.
- Plus Alliance Professor, across three universities: UNSW, King's College London and Arizona State University.
Mr Saul Singer
- Co-author of the best-selling book ‘Start-Up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle’.
- Editorial board member at the Times of Israel.
- Serves on the advisory boards of Vintage Investment Partners (an Israeli fund of funds), and Tevel B’Tsedek (an Israeli NGO working in Nepal, Haiti, and Burundi).
Dr Heather Smith PSM
Title: Ex-officio member
State: Australian Capital Territory
Current position: Secretary, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- Held the position of Secretary of the Department of Communications and the Arts.
- Held the position of Deputy Secretary in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Held the position of Deputy Director-General, Office of National Assessments.
- Worked at the Reserve Bank of Australia, the ANU and the Australian Treasury.
- Bachelor of Economics (First Class Honours), UQ.
- Masters and PhD in Economics, ANU.
Dr Marlene Kanga AM
Title: Special Advisor to the Board
State: New South Wales
- Current directorships: Chair Department of Industry innovation and Science, R&D Incentives Committee, iOmniscient Pty. Ltd, Sydney Water Corporation, Air Services Australia, the Hearing Cooperative Research Centre.
- National President of Engineers Australia and President Elect of the World Federation of Engineering Organisations.
- Degrees in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and Imperial College, University of London.
- Doctorate in Finance, Macquarie University
Terms of appointment - 12 November 2018 [12KB PDF] [31KB DOCX]
See ISA's sub-committees
Links to third party websites do not reflect the views of, or constitute endorsement by the department.