Your personal information is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), which regulate how entities may collect, use, disclose and store personal information.
Personal information is defined in section 6(1) of the Privacy Act to mean information or an opinion about an identified individual, (or an individual who is reasonably identifiable) whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
The Department of Industry, Science and Resources (‘Department’/‘we’) will collect your personal information where it is reasonably necessary for or directly related to the performance of our functions or activities.
How collection occurs
We will collect personal information from prize recipients of the Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science (the Prizes) and related individuals (such as nominators, supporters or referees) to facilitate program and event aspects of the Prizes.
We will collect personal information when attendees RSVP to the dinner hosted at Parliament House (‘event’), at which the Prizes will be presented.
We (and our contracted service providers) will take video recordings and photographs during the event. If you attend the event, your personal information and image may be captured in the photographs and the video recordings, and you may be identifiable.
Types of personal information collected
The personal information we may collect includes:
- your name
- your home address (for prize recipients only)
- your voting electorate (for prize recipients only)
- your occupation
- your employer
- your work experience, research/teaching and its application
- your bank account details (for prize recipients only)
- your email address
- your home telephone number and/or mobile telephone number
- photographs taken during the event
- images captured in video recordings for the event
- voice recordings captured in video recordings for the event and
- any other personal information relevant to the event.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
We may use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to organise and promote the Prizes and the event (including by publishing photography and video recordings in promotional material and in the media)
- to promote public understanding and appreciation of the role and importance of science, innovation, technology, engineering and mathematics or science education in our society
- to promote Commonwealth initiatives relating to science, innovation, technology, engineering and mathematics or science education.to promote Parliament House’s events management and
- to promote related Commonwealth policies, programs and initiatives.
We may also provide the photography and/or video recordings to prize recipients for personal use and promotion of their research and career.
Disclosure to third parties
We may disclose your personal information as necessary to fulfil the above purpose(s), including to:
- employees and contractors within the department
- other Commonwealth Government agencies and entities
- the department’s minister(s), the Prime Minister, any other relevant minister(s), and their respective offices and staff
- Parliament House
- relevant stakeholders of the department
- the media
- your federal electorate MP (for prize recipients only)
- the general public and
- overseas recipients (in the course of being published on the internet).
Other than disclosure to the above parties, your personal information will not be used or disclosed without your prior consent except where authorised or required by law.
Your personal information, including images, may appear in or on television, radio, podcasts, websites, promotional videos, social media and multimedia presentations.
If your personal information, including images and video recordings, is published on the internet, the Department and other Commonwealth agencies have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure.
Not providing your personal information
If you choose not to provide your personal information:
- you may be unable to be selected to receive a Prize (for prize recipients)
- you may be unable to participate in all or part(s) of the event, or you may be seated separately so as not to be filmed or photographed.
More about our privacy practices
- how and why we may collect your personal information
- how it is used
- when and how we might share it with others
- how you can access and seek to correct your personal information and
- how to make a complaint about our privacy practices and how your complaint will be handled.
Personal information obtained will be stored and held in accordance with the department’s obligations under the Privacy Act and the Archives Act 1983 (Cth).
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
From time to time, we will review and revise this Privacy Collection Statement. We reserve the right to amend this notice at any time.