The Department of Industry, Science and Resources (the department/we) will video record and photograph the Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science (the event).
As a result of your participation in the event personal information about you and your image may be captured in the photographs and the video recordings, and you may be identifiable in the photographs and video recordings.
The department is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) outlined in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) which regulates how entities may collect, use, disclose and store personal information.
The purpose of the department collecting your personal information is the creation of a digital production of the event, photography and video recordings, for the use of the department and other Commonwealth government agencies in the production of material to publicly broadcast a digital production of the event (on a date that the department determines), promote future Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science events and, government policies and initiatives.
The personal information we will collect is:
- your name, occupation, employer, work experience, research/teaching and its application, email address, telephone numbers
- images captured in video recordings for the event
- photographs taken for the event
- voice recordings captured in video recordings for the event.
Use of personal information
The personal information will be used for the above purpose, and may appear in/on:
- promotional videos
- social media platforms
- multi-media presentations.
The department may also provide the photography and video recordings of the award recipients for personal use and promotion of their research and career and to media outlets for their use in association with public announcements. The recording may be uploaded onto websites and copies of the recording may be stored on electronic storage devices or databases.
If we are unable to collect any of your personal information for the above purpose, then the video recording about you, including your speech, will not be published, broadcast and will not be included in the digital production of the event.
Disclosure of personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed by us to:
- employees and contractors of the Department of Industry, Science and Resources
- our responsible minister and the Prime Minister and their respective offices and staff
- other Commonwealth Government agencies and entities
- state and territory government agencies and entities
- the media
- the general public
- overseas public (in the course of being published on the internet).
Other than disclosure to the above parties, your personal information will not be used or disclosed without your prior consent except where authorised or required by law.
Important – please note
If your personal information, including images and video recordings is published on the internet, the department and other government agencies have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure.
Personal information obtained will be stored and held in accordance with the department’s obligations under the Archives Act 1983 (Cth) and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).