The Australia-India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF) supports scientists in India and Australia to collaborate on leading-edge research. It was established in 2006. To date the Australian Government has committed grant funding of more than $85 million over 16 years.
The evaluation assessed the program’s effectiveness, efficiency and impact between 2013 and 2017. It found that:
- there is a demonstrated need for the AISRF and it should be continued
- the original strategic policy objectives are still relevant and being achieved
- the AISRF is being delivered efficiently and by the most appropriate level of government
- the Australian research sector had gained access to significant new research and knowledge
- the AISRF contributed directly to positive bilateral relations between Australia and India.
Social Compass conducted this independent evaluation on behalf of the Office of the Chief Economist’s Evaluation Unit.