The department is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people. Our focus is to maintain a safe, respectful, welcoming and inclusive environment for all children and young people. The department ensures that children and young people are supported, respected, and their rights, needs and interests are met.
The department recognises the shared responsibility of all employees to keep children and young people safe and commits to protecting and safeguarding children and young people by:
- creating policies and procedures to protect children and young people
- ensuring all staff are aware of the policies and procedures and abide by them
- creating conditions that reduce the likelihood of harm
- regularly undertake and review existing risk assessments of all child safety related risks, acknowledging and managing any child safety incidents effectively
- being compliant with the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework (the framework)
- adopting and implementing, where applicable, the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations.