On this page
Supporting Australia’s manufacturing industry
The Australian Government is committed to helping Australian manufacturers scale-up and commercialise projects, create jobs and compete in global markets.
Building Australian manufacturing capabilities
Manufacturing is a key component of the government’s plan to deliver a strong, modern, and resilient economy for all Australians.
The $1.5 billion Modern Manufacturing Strategy aims to build Australia’s reputation as a high quality and sustainable manufacturing nation by:
- getting the economic conditions right for business
- making science and technology work for industry
- focusing on areas of manufacturing advantage
- building national resilience for a strong economy.
The strategy is a part of a broader program to deliver initiatives that drive innovation and the competitiveness of Australian businesses.
Whole-of-economy reforms underpin the strategy in areas like:
- industrial relations
- expansion and diversification
- innovation and skills.
National manufacturing priorities
There are manufacturing growth opportunities in 6 priority sectors. These sectors have the potential to deliver long‑term transformational outcomes for the Australian economy.
See the Modern Manufacturing Strategy’s industry-led road maps for sector based manufacturing goals, opportunities and actions:
- Resources technology and critical minerals processing
- Food and beverage
- Medical products
- Recycling and clean energy
Building Australia’s supply chain resilience
Our department is strengthening Australia’s ability to access critical products. This will position us to respond to disruptions in our international and domestic supply chains.
We are working with industry to:
- gain a deeper understanding of Australia’s supply chain vulnerabilities
- support businesses to manufacture critical products and address vulnerabilities across supply chains
- secure domestic supply chains.
This is part of a whole-of-government approach to monitor and remove supply chain vulnerabilities, led by the Office of Supply Chain Resilience at the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
See our first Sovereign Manufacturing Capability Plan.
Supporting advanced manufacturing
Our department is helping industry and businesses harness advanced manufacturing technology like artificial intelligence (AI) and driving Industry 4.0 capabilities.
Industry Growth Centres are driving innovation, productivity and competitiveness in advanced manufacturing, among other sectors.
Manufacturing funding and incentives
Our department provides a range of manufacturing funding opportunities under the Modern Manufacturing Strategy and other initiatives. Find manufacturing funding opportunities.
- The $1.3 billion Modern Manufacturing Initiative launched on 19 February 2021
- Initiatives to transform Australian manufacturing launched on 1 October 2020
Connect with us
For information about the Modern Manufacturing Strategy:
Last updated: 22 July 2021
Content ID: 69763