On this page
Science in our department
The government supports and invests in a wide array of science‑related activities.
- leads the coordination of science policy across government portfolios, councils and committees
- administers science programs and manages projects
- engages with science stakeholder groups and the community on Australia's science priorities, programs and initiatives
Our science policies, programs and projects
- National Science Statement: the government’s long-term strategic policy for science in Australia
- Science and Research Priorities: areas of immediate and critical importance to Australia and its place in the world
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM): increasing community-wide participation and engagement in STEM
- Inspiring Australia: provides grants, prizes and coordinates national science engagement networks
- Square Kilometre Array: a collaborative international project to build the world’s most powerful radio telescope
- National Innovation and Science Agenda (NISA): initiatives across departments and agencies to boost innovation and science
- Funding and incentives for science and research: measures to support international collaboration and science engagement in Australia
See the full list of activities and strategies in our Corporate Plan under Supporting science and commercialisation.
Our science centres and agencies
Our department is part of the Industry, Science, Energy and Resources which includes science organisations.
- Questacon is a specialist division of the department that promotes understanding and awareness of science and technology.
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) conducts research and development across nuclear science and technology activities.
- The Australian Space Agency works to transform and grow Australia’s space industry.
- The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) supports industry needs through research activities.
- The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) conducts tropical marine research to inform governments, industry and the community.
- Geoscience Australia provides geoscience information, services and capability to government, industry and stakeholders.
- The National Measurement Institute is the peak Australian organisation, responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement.
We host Australia’s Chief Scientist who provides high-level independent advice to the Prime Minister and ministers on matters relating to science, technology and innovation.
Councils and committees
We provide secretariat support to the:
- National Science and Technology Council: provides strategic advice to government on science and technology issues
- National Climate Science Advisory Committee: provides strategic direction for Australian climate science research
Science policy coordination
We work with departments across the government on science-related issues and policy, including the:
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Health
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, including the Office for Women
We coordinate with science agencies, including the:
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences
- Australian Research Council
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Defence Science and Technology Organisation
- National Health and Medical Research Council
Connect with us
Follow us on Twitter @ScienceGovAu
Email STEM [at] science.gov.au
Last updated: 12 August 2021
Content ID: 45896