Thematic science workshops, seminars and symposia
The Australia-China Science and Research Fund (ACSRF) supports Australia-China science and technology workshops, seminars and symposia. This includes the long standing Australia-China Science Academies Symposia Series. These forums strengthen cooperative research links between Australia and China in areas of mutual interest.
During 2017, joint workshops between Australian and Chinese researchers were held to discuss electrical energy security and Square Kilometre Array big data.
Australia-China Science Academies Symposia Series
Established in 2004, the Australia-China Science Academies Symposia Series strengthens cooperative research links between Australia and China in areas of mutual national interest.
This forum is jointly organised by the:
- Australian Academy of Science (AAS)
- Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
Contact the Australian Academy of Science for more information.
- 2018: 14th symposium on Light Changes Your Life was held in Changchun, China on 27–29 August.
- 2017: 13th symposium on Synthetic Biology was held in Brisbane, Australia on 17–19 October. Australian and Chinese researchers discussed their research on macromolecular design, engineering of biochemical pathways and genome-scale re-design of living organisms and the ethical and regulatory implications of synthetic biology research.
- 2016: 12th symposium on Advanced Materials was held in Ningbo, China on 21–23 September. Experts from Australia and China explored research and the industrial applications of advanced materials.
- 2015: 11th symposium on neuroscience was held in Melbourne on 15–16 October. Australia and China’s leading neuroscientists shared the latest research on neurodegenerative diseases and mental illness as well as better ways to study the brain.
- 2013: 10th symposium on Astronomy and astrophysics was held in Nanjing, China on 10–12 November 2013.
- 2012: 9th symposium on Healthy ageing: new approaches to genomics, stem cells and smart technologies was held in Canberra, Australia on 22-24 July.
- 2011: 8th symposium on Green materials and recycling economy was held in Shanghai and Suzhou, China on 5–9 November.
- 2010: 7th symposium on Agriculture and food security relating to health was held in the Barossa Valley, Australia on 14–16 November.
- 2009: 6th symposium on sustainable coastal and deltaic systems was held in Guangzhou and Xiamen, China on 12–15 October.
- 2008: 5th symposium on remote sensing technologies and sustainability was held in Canberra, Australia on 24–25 November.
- 2007: 4th symposium on sustaining global ecosystems was held in Beijing, China on 8–10 August.
- 2006: 3rd symposium on energy: transportation fuels, static renewable energy for power generation and traditional energy sources was held in on Sydney, Australia on 5–7 November.
- 2005: 2nd symposium on biotechnology and nanotechnology was held in Beijing, China on 8–12 October.
- 2004: 1st symposium on sustainability was held in Melbourne, Australia on 17–20 November.
Read the 2015 Australia-China Science and Research Fund (ACSRF) Program Guidelines [144KB PDF] [1.6MB DOCX] to find out more.
Australia’s National Science Statement sets a long-term approach to achieving a strong science system.
Last updated: 15 November 2018
Content ID: 46341