Collaborating with China on science and research
The Australia-China Science and Research Fund (ACSRF) supports strategic science, technology and innovation collaboration between Australia and China.
The ACSRF facilitates activities that:
- support enduring partnerships between Australian and Chinese researchers
- encourage the application and commercialisation of research outcomes
- provide early career researchers the opportunity to gain relevant Australia-China research experience
We jointly manage the ACSRF along with the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China.
The ACSRF’s key work
The ACSRF comprises three elements:
- ACSRF–Joint Research Centres
- Thematic science workshops, seminars and symposia (including the Australia-China Science Academies Symposia Series)
- Young Scientists Exchange Programme
ACSRF-Joint research centres
ACSRF-Joint Research Centres (ACSRF-JRCs) are virtual centres which link Australian and Chinese research institutions conducting specific research related activities.
- build research capacity
- maximise the application and commercialisation of research outcomes
- boost collaboration between researchers and industry
- facilitate joint efforts and outcomes that exceed what an individual research project can expect
Thematic science workshops, seminars and symposia
The ACSRF supports Australia-China science and technology workshops, seminars and symposia, including the long standing Australia-China Science Academies Symposia Series. These forums seek to strengthen cooperative research links between Australia and China in areas of mutual interest.
Young Scientists Exchange Programme (YSEP)
The Australian and Chinese Governments jointly fund the Young Scientists Exchange Programme (YSEP) for early to mid-career researchers.
YSEP provides an opportunity for researchers from Australia and China to undertake a two week exchange. Successful applicants establish linkages with a range of research organisations and learn about the science and research environments of each country.
We have held annual exchanges under YSEP since 2006. YSEP aims to support science, technology and innovation collaboration between Australia and China by fostering long-term relationships between future science leaders from both countries.
The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) works with us to administer the YSEP.
- Read the Executive summary and key findings [37KB PDF] [119KB DOCX] of ACIL Allen Consulting’s evaluation of the Australia-China Science and Research Fund from 2011 to 2014.
- The ACSRF Program Guidelines 2015 [144KB PDF] [1.6MB DOCX] provide detailed information about the three elements, including Rounds 1 and 2 of the ACSRF-JRCs.
- The ACSRF-JRC Program Guidelines cover Round 3 of the ACSRF-JRCs.
- For advice on planning and managing a collaboration for success, see our Guide to undertaking international collaboration
- Phone 13 28 46 (8am-8pm, Monday to Friday)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
YSEP, thematic science workshops, seminars and symposia
- Phone +61 2 6276 1093 (during business hours 9am–5pm [AEST] Monday to Friday)
- Email International.Science@industry.gov.au
Australia’s National Science Statement sets a long-term approach to achieving a strong science system.
Last updated: 12 November 2020
Content ID: 12966